LANGSTONE MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1104830

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: LANGSTONE MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANGSTONE MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104830 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 03:06:13.

Location

Statutory Address: LANGSTONE MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Brentor

National Grid Reference: SX 48092 82422

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 48 SE BRENTOR

7/30 Langstone Manor - (formerly listed as Langstone House) 21.3.67

GV II

Manor house, now in use as farmhouse. Late C16 origins, substantially rebuilt extended 1907. Dressed stone, some masonry brought to course, granite and freestone dressings. Roof of small slates with sprocketted eaves, gabled at ends, 1 wing with half-hipped end. 6 brick stacks, square in section, with round-headed recesses and moulded brick cornices. Some decorative slate-hanging in gables. The west front of the house is E-plan, in the Elizabethan style and seems to preserve some original work in situ, although the extent of the rebuilding is difficult to determine. The rear is less archaeological, and consists of 4 irregular picturesque projections, 3 gabled and 1 half-hipped. The masonry of 1 rear projection is probably C16 or C17. 2 storeys. Symmetrical front with front projecting wings at left and right. Central 2 storey porch with string course and gabled sprocketted eaves to roof. Granite doorway has segmental arch with keystone, arch carried on capitals supported on moulded piers. Doorway has square-headed hoodmould and label stops, and may be n reconstruction. First floor of porch has a 3-light mullioned window with leaded panes under a hoodmould with label stops. Ogee-headed chamfered 1-light window in porch gable. Ground floor windows to left and right of porch each a 4-light granite mullioned window with king mullion, hoodmould and label stops, leaded panes. Similar smaller 4-light windows to first floor, without king mullions. The north and south front wings have similar 3 and 2-light mullioned windows, 2 with hoodmoulds raised above the lintels were probably reconstructed in 1907. The north wing has a 1907 Tudor arched doorway under a hoodmould on the south side. The west gable end of the north wing has 4 tall chamfered 1-light windows, 3 similar windows and one 2-light mullioned window to the south wing. Elsewhere the house preserves 1907 fenestration; 1-, 2-, 3- and 4-light timber sashes, mostly with high transoms. Interior 1 small room panelled throughout with bolection moulded panelling, including cupboards on either side of a fireplace. 2 reconstructed Tudor chimney pieces in the hall. Plaster ceilings with strapwork decoration of 1907. Some good C18 and C19 doors. Langstone Manor was owned by Tavistock Abbey before the Reformation. The house is said to have been damaged by fire at the end of the C19.

Listing NGR: SX4809282422

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92276

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing