This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL DE RUPE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL DE RUPE

List entry Number: 1104836

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL DE RUPE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Brentor

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Nov-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 92287

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 48 SE BRENTOR BRENT TOR

7/41 Church of St Michael De Rupe - (formerly listed as Church of 21.3.67 St Michael)

GV I

Parish church. Probably largely C13 with C15 alterations and C15 tower. Evidence of considerable repair. Restoration of 1889-1890. Local volcanic stone, formerly rendered, with local Hardwick stone dressings, lead roof concealed behind parapets. Small C13 nave and chancel plan, east front masonry indicates narrow width of previous chancel. In the C15 the tower was added and the chancel extended to the same width as the nave, and the probably steeply-pitched C13 roof was replaced by an almost flat C15 roof protected from the weather by tall battlemented parapets supported on the C13 corbel table. Very exposed position and fortified appearance with 1 window only to north and south sides and deep battlemented coped parapet carried on C13 moulded corbels, some replacement of parapet and corbels. Unbuttressed throughout. East wall partly rebuilt in roughly dressed coursed stone, chamfered plinth to south only. Triple lancet window with square-head looks C19. South side has chamfered arched doorway under bead hoodmould with 1 pyramid, 1 bar stop. South doorway opposed to north porch. 1 round-headed circa C12 window on south side, change in plane of south wall indicates rebuilding. North side has single lancet circa C13 window, evidence of rebuilding in change of wall plane. Slate memorial to Walter Batten of Brinsabach (q.v.), buried 1677, fixed to north wall. Small 3-stage battlemented C15 west tower has 2 moulded strings, no west door. West face has round-headed window to first stage. Rectangular opening on north face to bellringers' stage, round-headed openings with carved spandrels on north, south and west faces. Slate sundial fixed to exterior south wall of tower dated 1642 has initials W.B. for Walter Batten (q.v. Brinsabach) and 12 zodiacal signs carved on the border. Battlemented north porch has shallow-moulded arched doorway, some moulded stones replaced, and north face largely rebuilt. Porch has shallow stone benches and probably late C19 roof of unusual section. Chamfered arched inner doorway under bead hoodmould. Interior No chancel arch, unmoulded tower arch. Circa C15 octagonal font on octagonal stem and base. Rim of bowl retains fastenings for font lock. Almost flat roof of 1889-90, said to be a copy of the C15 roof: massive rafters, moulded to the nave, unmoulded to the chancel, rest on heavy bead-moulded wall plates supported on long plain corbels. 6-sided drum pulpit of 1884-1890 has moulded cornice above frieze of pierced rectangular panels. Benches and altar rail contemporary with pulpit. East window signed James Paterson, 1971. Brentor church is built on the summit of a tor which is surrounded by probably iron age earthworks. The first church on the site was built circa 1130 by Robert Giffard, Lord of the Manor of Lamerton, and may have been built as a chantry chapel. The site of the church makes it a landmark for miles around.

Listing NGR: SX4707780402

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 47077 80403

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104836 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 02:46:17.

End of official listing