- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- SOLDON MANOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104947 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 09:35:43.
- Statutory Address:
- SOLDON MANOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- Holsworthy Hamlets
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 32763 10804
SS31SW HOLSWORTHY HAMLETS CP
6/41 Soldon Manor
Manor house. Mid C16, extended mid C17, some alterations early C18, hall shortened, front walls raised and partly rebuilt, early-mid C19, south end gutted and roof partly rebuilt mid C20. Random rubble local stone, granite dressings, quoins to rebuilt north gable end, relieving arches to window openings in west wing, slate roofs, C20 brick stack south gable end, stone stack at junction with wing behind second bay left, rendered stack west gable end of wing. T-plan: truncated ceiled hall incorporating through passage, to left staircase and panelled room inserted, end bay south gutted and open to partly reconstructed roof space, west wing abutting central panelled room with corridor in later outshot on north and west sides. East front: 2 storeys, irregular 5- bay facade, 2-storey gabled porch projecting second bay right with 2-light stone chamfered mullioned window under squarehood mould, coat of arms below (probably C19) with initials N(icholas) P(rideaux) and date 1649, depressed pointed arch opening, unmoulded; inner doorway depressed Tudor arch head wooden doorframe, moulded with decorative spandrels, C19 framed and panelled door; to right small leaded 2-light casement above 3-light stone mullioned hall window with hoodmould, wall below slightly splayed out, to left of porch first floor two 2-light C20 wooden casements under wooden lintels set below eaves and 3-light gabled stone mullioned window under hoodmould beside porch, ground floor three 3-light stone mullioned windows without hoodmoulds; C20 random rubble garage abutting north gable end which has a date stone of 1646 set into it. South front of west wing: one and a half storeys, 3 bays, all 3-light chamfered stone mullions under hoodmoulds except for ground floor right which is 4-light, entrance via gable porch centre, hoodmould of window reset as lintel; offsets of lean-to addition end bay left. Interior: exposed joists to ceiling in hall, good moulded jambs to fireplace against rear wall, straight stone lintel, bolt socket in wall to front door, moulded doorframe to rear doorway, part of beam with sockets for joist that may have been part of screens passage reset in cupboard to left of entrance, narrow staircase rising against rear wall opposite, predating panelling in room adjoining which contains an unusual wooden chimneypiece with depressed 4-centred arch head and blind niches on either side, modern grate, C19 panelling in C16-style possibly incorporating some earlier woork, end room open to roof space with C16 fireplace with chamfered wooden lintel at first floor level and 3 cruck-type trusses with wind braces created C20; first floor good early C18 bolection moulded surround to chimneypiece in bedroom above panelled room, room above hall set at higher level with 5 pairs of collarbeam trusses, re-enforced with extra collars, purlins removed; roof space to central 8 bays not seen, said to be principal rafter roof. Later alterations make it difficult to ascertain the date of the original structure, and whether it was ever an open hall house. A drawing of the house in 1716 by Edmund Prideaux shows an upper storey to the hall which continued one bay north with a crosswing abutting; there was another bay and outbuildings beyond. (J.Harris, The Prideaux Collection of Topographical Drawings, Architectural History, 1964; E.Prideaux, Sutcombe Church and its Builders, 1913)
Listing NGR: SS3276310804
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Prideaux, E , Sutcombe Church and its Builders, (1913)
'Architectural History' in Architectural History, (1964)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing