This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CORY MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CORY MANOR

List entry Number: 1104954

Location

CORY MANOR, VILLAGE CENTRE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: West Putford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91972

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS31NE WEST PUTFORD CP VILLAGE CENTRE

3/65 Cory Manor (formerly listed as Cory Park) 14.2.58

GV II*

Manor house. Late C16-early C17, open hall ceiled subsequently, billiard room added and service area extended late C19-early C20, roofs replaced, hall ceiling removed and house extensively restored late 1940s, architect John Macgregor. Random rubble local stone, shallow pitch bitumenised slate roof hipped to left with external stone stack, brick chimney, large lateral stone stack on rear elevation, stone stack north gable end of north-west wing. Plan: open hall house facing east with coeval framed stair north end giving access to crosswing, (date of north-east range uncertain), screens passage with corridor between pantry and buttery giving acess to kitchen, C20 extensions on south- west linked by wall to billiard room adjoining north-west wing to form courtyard. Two storeys, 4:1 bays, all windows renewed C20 and leaded, one exception only, first floor 4- light stone mullioned window left, 3-light metal, 2-light above entrance and 3-light stone end bay right, mullioned and transomed window in gable end of wing, ground floor 4-light end bay left, small metal window set in larger opening, to left of entrance original 4-light hollow chamfered mullioned window with king mullion under relieving arch, with string course hoodmould, remains of plinth on facade of main block though, not to wing which has 4-light stone mullioned window on ground floor; entrance via round-headed doorway of uncertain date. Some C18/ early C19 leaded metal casements survive on first floor west front, the 5-light ovolo-moulded mullioned window in south gable end of north-west wing which is in decay is thought to be mid C20. There is a tiny 2-light chamfered wooden window on north front. Interior: open hall with good plasterwork overmantel with supporters, strapwork and coat of arms, badly decayed in lower section, chamfered granite lintel to open fireplace, chamfered jambs, projection on rear elevation, pointed arch window to right inserted mid C20, screenspassage wall rebuilt, Jacobean-style panelling to minstrel's gallery of uncertain date, through passage between pantry and buttery with original boarded partition, moulded arch doorframes, newel stair in western room, kitchen now parlour with open fireplace, chamfered lintel and cloam oven recess. Framed staircase to north of hall with plain newel posts, no early features in rooms on east front. To west library with exposed ceiling joists, impressive Jacobean-style overmantel, probably C19; 4-bay billiard room reroofed in 1950s, handsome C19 door with decorative hinges opening onto courtyard; first floor good plasterwork overmantel contemporary with that in hall, chamfered wooden lintel to open fireplace and remains of plasterwork frieze, probably originally with barrel vault roof now with principal rafter roof. Roof of main block partly seen; 7 or 8 pairs of collar beam trusses, the bases of 2 curved principals are visable above the screens passage in hall. It is known that various features where incorporated into the house in the 1950s and also earlier in the century. The granite porch mentioned in the previous list was added in 1934 and has since been removed. The house is believed to have been built by a member of the Prideaux family sometime between 1576 and 1611. (Cherry and Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Devon, forthcoming)

Listing NGR: SS3598715752

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989)

National Grid Reference: SS 35987 15752

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104954 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2017 at 11:34:26.

End of official listing