OUTBUILDING, FORMERLY CHAPEL 20 METRES NORTH OF LOWER ALSWORTHY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1104971
Date first listed:
14-Feb-1958
Date of most recent amendment:
18-Dec-1989
Statutory Address:
OUTBUILDING, FORMERLY CHAPEL 20 METRES NORTH OF LOWER ALSWORTHY FARMHOUSE, ALFARDISWORTHY

Map

Ordnance survey map of OUTBUILDING, FORMERLY CHAPEL 20 METRES NORTH OF LOWER ALSWORTHY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104971 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2019 at 05:12:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
OUTBUILDING, FORMERLY CHAPEL 20 METRES NORTH OF LOWER ALSWORTHY FARMHOUSE, ALFARDISWORTHY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bradworthy
National Grid Reference:
SS2940211774

Details

BRADWORTHY

1527/5/8

ALFARDISWORTHY

14-FEB-58

Outbuilding, Formerly Chapel 25 metres north east of Lower Alsworthy Farmhouse (Formerly listed as: ALFARDISWORTHY CHAPEL)

GV

II*

Chapel, now store. C15, subsequently much altered. Squared and coursed local stone, upper section cob, cement repairs, corrugated iron roof.

Plan: Four-bay, single cell set into slope on north (rear elevation), entrance via blocked east window at first floor level and on south front at ground floor level.

South front ground floor square headed opening with wooden lintel and plank door, probably C19/C20 on site of original opening. West gable end relieving arch of thin fieldstone, the head of the east window, tympanum filled with cob, wooden door frame of indeterminate date.

Interior: wooden wall plate running length of north wall, two and a half pairs of moulded arch-braced trusses, moulded collar purlins, bosses removed, apices renewed, two tiers of curved wind braces in south-east corner, evidence of some smoke blackening on original rafters. The east wall has splayed out and the unmoulded east face of the eastern-most truss was originally flush with the wall. Ground floor, only accessible in part at time of survey but appeared to contain corbels or brackets on east wall that originally flanked the east window. No evidence visible of the cill of this window. Blocked window opening partially visible on south wall.

There are references to the chapel here in 1315 in the records of Torre abbey who held the advowson. To the north-west rises a spring which had a reputation as a Holy Well although its healing properties are unrecorded.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 18th February 2019.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91909
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Seymour, D, Torre Abbey, (1977)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12143/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Ann Allen. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].