This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TACKBEARE FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TACKBEARE FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1104975

Location

TACKBEARE FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bridgerule

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Feb-1958

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Dec-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91919

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS20SE BRIDGERULE CP 12/17 Tackbeare Farmhouse (formerly listed as Tackbear Manor)

14.2.58 II*

Manor house. Late C16, probably open hall house ceiled late C17-early C18 when plasterwork added, refenestrated possibly c1820 when porch resited one bay north, corridor added on west front, 1858 south-east wing taken down, improvements including reused material dated 1937 in west extension of north-east wing, porch rebuilt, and south wall rebuilt after collapse sometime in C20. Early C20 work by Albert de C. Glubb who did much of the internal carving himself. Squared and coursed local stone, granite quoins and dressings, roughcast gable ends, slate roofs, brick stacks in outer bays of main block and at adjoining junctions with wings. Originally U-plan facing east with entrance to screens passage adjoining wing, end bay left of main block, the wing was demolished, the entrance having been moved one bay north, though it is now beside the north-west addition of 1930s. East front: 2 storeys, 4 bay main block, 3 bay re-entrant angle, all 12 pane sash windows, 4 with horns first floor re-entrant angle and end bay right main block, ground floor windows under granite lintels; entrance second bay left gabled porch with depressed segmental opening, tablet above, plank inner door with decorative hinges. Two storey one bay addition to north-west with reused granite mullioned window under hoodmould and reused hoodmould above blocked doorway. Interior: complicated by Mr Glubb's improvements which include reused work. Hall with decoration of c1700, plaster ceiling with oak leaf garland and plaster cornices including angle chimneybreast; entrance hall adjoining with cherub's face in oval and beam embellished by Mr Glubb, square-headed granite lintels opening out of this room and into adjoining room south; north-east wing with plasterwork overmantel containing coat of arms of the Gilbert and Rolle families, strapwork and supporting figures, said to date from 1693, modern grate, remains of C18 panelling. Staircase adjoining; resited Tudor arch head granite opening, carved beams in 1930s gatehouse addition. Upper floor: north-east wing bedroom plasterwork cartouche containing the arms of the Gilbert and Kniveton families above bolection moulded fireplace surround, blocked, inserted flat ceiling cutting top of plasterwork, same in bedroom adjoining where plasterwork overmantel has the winged figure of Father Time pointing to the crown over the head of a diminutive George I on his right, to his left a naked figure thought to be the Old Pretender with a whip over his head slips away. There is a carved framework by Mr Glubb. Moulded plaster cornices to 2 small bedrooms over the hall and former entrance hall. Roof timbers not seen. The house is thought to have been built by Richart Gilbert and the early C19 improvements were by Col George Harwood. (Cherry and Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Devon, forthcoming; Devon County Sites and Monuments Register)

Listing NGR: SS2574001887

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989)

National Grid Reference: SS 25740 01887

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104975 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2017 at 04:57:39.

End of official listing