CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1104977
Date first listed:
18-Dec-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, VILLAGE CENTRE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Jun-2019 at 01:14:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, VILLAGE CENTRE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Bulkworthy
National Grid Reference:
SS 39474 14186

Details

SS31SE BULKWORTHY CP VILLAGE CENTRE

7/23 Church of St Michael

II*

Anglican parish church. C15, restored 1874. Random rubble local stone, slate roofs with decorative ridge tiles, porch and south aisle under same roof slightly higher than nave. Chancel and nave undivided, 2-bay south aisle abutting south porch with chamber above reached by external stone stair, bell-cote west end. Vest gable end 2 full-height stepped buttresses carrying relieving arch and gabled bell-cote hung with 2 bells, 2- light west window, escutcheon below relieving arch containing date and initials I.C.M.S; south wall of nave unlit, lateral stone stair of 11 steps to round-headed doorway to room over porch, plank door. Pointed arch-head double roll noulded opening to porch, C19 rafter roof, depressed Tudor arch head doorway, C19 door; trefoil-headed lancet above porch, two 2-light cinquefoil-headed windows with hoodmoulds, 3-light uncusped at east gable ends, pointed arch lancet in north wall of chancel, to west two 2-light windows with hollow-chamfer granite mullions under square hoodmoulds with a stepped buttress between. Interior of porch rendered with flat plasterboard roof, otherwise featureless. Interior of church rendered. Two bay arcade of granite with depressed Tudor arch heads, and octagonal capitals with panels of birds and Christian symbols. Trefoil-headed hagioscope in north-west corner of aisle looking into nave. Partly renewed ribbed and ceiled barrel vault roof with bosses and wallplate in chancel, original ceiled ribbed barrel vault to aisle with wallplate and bosses. Octagonal pulpit with carved panels in memory of William Newcombe of Bankford died 1854. Norman front with cable-moulded base on C19 plinth. C19 decorative wooden reredos inset with slate tablets, altar table and floor tiles all coeval. C19 pews. C19 stained glass in East window. Floor carpet may possibly conceal tomb slabs. C19 pews. There is no electric light in the church. It is said that an inscription in the church, since lost, attributed its building to Sir William Hankford, Chief Justice of the King's Bench, in the years 1414-22. The initials on the bell-cote are those of J.C.Moore-Stevens who paid for most of the 1874 restoration. (White's Devonshire, 1878; Cherry and Pevsner, The Buildings of England, Devon, forthcoming)

Listing NGR: SS3947414186

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91925
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989)
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1878)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].