This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST GILES

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST GILES

List entry Number: 1104983

Location

CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: St. Giles in the Wood

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91837

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST GILES ST GILES IN THE WOOD SS 53 18 IN THE WOOD 18/225 Church of St Giles 4.10.60 GV II

Parish church. C15, extensively altered 1862-3, other works in 1879. Local stone rubble laid to rough courses; sandstone ashlar detail; slate roof with crested ridge tiles. Plan: Nave and chancel, north and south aisles are not full length, 1879 vestry and organ chamber on north side of the chancel. North and south porches. West tower. Only the tower and outer walls survived the 1862-3 rebuilding and even these were much altered. Exterior: West tower of 2 storeys with low diagonal buttresses, embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and internal stair. Plain rectangular belfry windows. West doorway is a 2-centred arch and moulded surround; its granite jambs may be medieval. The window above is 2 lights with decorated tracery, hoodmould and carved foliate label stops. There are similar windows around the rest of the church. A clock was installed in the tower in 1879 with its face on the east side and the south side has the remains of a C17 mural monument. Both porches are gabled with 2-centred arch doorways on their east sides the north one surmounted by a large carving of the Royal arms. Interior is wholly C19. Nave and aisles have open roofs carried on arch-braced trusses. Chancel roof is a panelled timber vault painted with angels and Evangelists. Tower arch is a tall 2-centred arch with moulded surround and Norman- style nook shafts. Chancel arch has a moulded surround springing from moulded corbels. Each side of the nave are 5-bay arcades with cylindrical granite piers with moulded capitals. Full height arches to both porches. Segmental arch from chancel to the 1879 organ chamber. The walls are plastered except in the tower. The tile floor includes encaustic tiles in the chancel and contains some good C16 and C17 graveslabs and a couple include brasses, one in memory of Mary Rolle (died 1570) and another in memory of Joanna Risdon (died 1610). The best however is a brass in memory of Alyanora Pollard (died 1430). Furniture and fittings: Sanctuary is lined with Beerstone ashlar wainscotting with geometic-pattern friezes of inlaid marble and a good carved alabaster reredos; blind Gothic arcade featuring sacred emblems. The east window is flanked by marble Commandment boards framed with carved alabaster. Brass altar rail. Oak stalls with some Gothic ornamentation. Low wall serves as the chancel screen. It is Beerstone with marble coping and incorporates a good marble pulpit complete with brass book rest and candle holders. Brass lectern. Plain pine benches. Beerstone font in Perpendicular style. Gothic style oak tower screen. Circa 1987 part of south aisle screened off as a meeting room. Memorials: Good C17 monument in north porch in memory of Mary Risdon (date illegible); oval plaque flanked by pilasters, moulded entablature with swan-neckeed pediment surmounted by an heraldic cartouche, moulded sill on acanthus consoles and carved apron. South porch has marble memorials to Henry Ebberly (died 1710) ad Henry Hale (died 1740). In the south aisle is the recumbent figure of Thomas Chafe (died 1648) with a couple of heraldic cartouches, all that remains from a C17 chest tomb. It was painted circa 1985. Also the south aisle includes a good inlaid marble and mosaic memorial to Mark George Kerr Rolle (died 1907). All the windows contain C19 stained glass, the grissaile glass installed to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. Sources: J Clemens Church guide (1983) is good and informative. Devon SMR.

Listing NGR: SS5331818958

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Clemens, J , Church of St Giles Church Guide, (1983)

National Grid Reference: SS 53318 18958

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 10:16:17.

End of official listing