RUINS OF STEVENSTONE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1104997
Date first listed:
16-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
RUINS OF STEVENSTONE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF STEVENSTONE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1104997 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 11:27:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
RUINS OF STEVENSTONE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
St. Giles in the Wood
National Grid Reference:
SS 52714 19290

Details

ST GILES STEVENSTONE PARK SS 52 19 IN THE WOOD 17/221 Ruins of Stevenstone House - GV II

Ruins of mansion. 1872-73 by the Honourable Mark George Kerr Rolle on an ancient site; reduced in size circa 1914; abandoned since circa 1945. Grey-coloured snecked stone with with cream-coloured limestone detail, rendered brick internally ; brick and stone stacks with snecked stone chimneyshafts with limestone coping; no roof, formerly slate. Plan: Ruined mansion. The entrance front faces east-north-east, say east. It is said to be the original front rebuilt further back when the eastern half of the house was done away with circa 1914. The interior walls have collapsed and are much overgrown and therefore a description of the layout of rooms is not possible here. Nevertheless it is clear than the principal rooms were those on the south and east sides. Service rooms were increasingly concentrated in the north-western corner and a service block connecting that corner, northwards and connecting to the service courtyard (now called Stevestone Court), has been demolished. Formerly 2 storeys with a basement. Exterior: The ruined walls are very overgrown and rarely stand their full height. A 3-storey turret and stack stand high and relatively intact in the south-west corner and a large projecting lateral stack dominates the east front. The windows have limestone ashlar architraves and the most prominent have curvilinear pediments filled with the carved Rolle arms. Eaves cornices and chimneyshaft cornice are limestone modillion friezes. The east (entrance) front has an irregular 5-window front interrupted by the projecting stack right of centre. The doorway is central. Partly collapsed flight of steps to remains of stone ashlar shallow porch; external bands of rusticated stone and panelled interior. The south front, overlooking the deer park, has a 4-window front. The right end window here is a projecting bay window with very large windows. According to the owner he has a pre- 1914 photograph showing this bay window is central. Interior has completely collapsed although here and there the walls are still plastered and one room in the south-west corner has the remnants of a moulded plaster cornice including a modillion frieze. All the carpentry, joinery and other fixtures and fittings have been removed. These are the ruins of the Rolle mansion whose occupants shaped the surrounding landscape in the late C19. They were then the largest landowners in Devon and this was one of their 2 major houses. The legacy of Mark George Kerr Rolle is imposed on just about the whole parish of St Giles in the Wood.

Listing NGR: SS5271419290

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91870
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05103/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Barbara Hilton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].