EBBERLY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1105001
Date first listed:
16-Jan-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Feb-1989
Statutory Address:
EBBERLY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of EBBERLY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105001 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:17:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
EBBERLY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Torridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Roborough
National Grid Reference:
SS5646318538

Details

SS 51 NE 1905/8/166 16.1.52

ROBOROUGH EBBERLY EBBERLY HOUSE

II*

Country house. Rebuilt c1816 by Henry Hole, possibly to the designs of Thomas Lee; on the site of and possibly incorporating an earlier house. Stuccoed, probably stone rubble. Slate hipped roof behind parapets. Rendered stack with yellow clay pots. STYLE: a Neo-Classical style country house. PLAN: double depth plan with a central entrance, a wing behind the right hand end and a lower service wing at the back to the left. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; symmetrical 2:3:2 bay south front divided by giant pilasters, paired at each end and which support the entablature which has a moulded cornice and blocking course. Large early C19 16-pane sashes on the first floor and early C19 French windows on the ground floor with margin glazing bars and decorative wrought-iron balconettes. Doorway at the centre with glazed double doors and a large Doric stuccoed porch with 2 pairs of massive fluted columns supporting an entablature. The porch is now glazed. The main entablature continues around the left and right hand returns where there is a semi-circular bay at each end of the front with a French window on the first floor with an iron balcony. To the right of the east elevation there are sash windows with glazing bars. The rear elevation is asymmetrically fenestrated with sashes. Over the lower rear service wing a fine timber cupola, octagonal on plan with an ogee dome and finial. INTERIOR: appears to he very complete and has many interesting features, including a fine cantilevered staircase in a small oval well, intact joinery, plasterwork and chinineypieces, two of which are set under windows. (Sources: Cherry B and Pevsner N: The Buildings of England: [2nd edition]: 1989: 351-:)

Listing NGR: SS5646318538

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
91782
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 351

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].