This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1105088

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bradford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1989

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 91583

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADFORD BRADFORD SS 40 NW

6/29 Church of All Saints -

- II*

Parish church. Norman origins with some C14 fabric extended in C15, restored in 1869 and during 1875 - 89. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof. Plan: nave, north aisle and chapel, west tower and south porch and vestry to north of chancel. The earliest feature of the church is Norman south doorway. The next recognizable building phase is C14 from which time the chancel dates or was rebuilt. A major remodelling took place in the C15 when the north aisle was added and the porch probably built. The tower was struck by lightning in 1550 and rebuilt. The date of the vestry is uncertain since it incorporates C17 features but these may have been re-used in the C19. Kelly's Directory records that the church was restored in 1869 from a ruinous state and again during 1875 - 89 when the chancel was rebuilt. The tower was restored and new pinnacles made in 1891. Exterior: 2 stage unbuttressed west tower, crenellated with renewed obelisk pinnacles terminating in crosses. West doorway has 2-centred arch and recessed chamfer, arcned hoodmould above. Probably restored 2-light west window with cinquefoiled heads and quatrefoil over. Belfry openings are of 2 lights with 4- centred heads and hoodmoulds. West window of north aisle renewed in C20 in Decorated style. Granite moulded north doorway with 4-centred head and hoodmould. To its east is early C16 3-light granite mullion witn segmental heads and a hoodmould. Beyond that is a C15 3-light mullion with ogee-headed lights and a hoodmould. At the east end of the north wall is a C17 straight-headed 3-light mullion. East end wall of aisle has 3-light granite Perpendicular window. The vestry projects as a small wing from the north wall of the chancel with a cambered head doorway on its east side and a C17 mullion window on its north wall. East window is a C19 3-light restoration in the Decorated style. South wall of chancel has 2 apparently early C14 unrestored windows. The nave has C19 2 and 3-light Decorated style windows. Gabled C15 or C16 porch with stone coping and 4-centred chamfered rubble arch. Interior: porch has renewed open timber roof. Narrow Norman doorway with round arcn to tympanum, dressed stone jambs and colonnette either side with carved capitals. Internal walls are rendered. 5-bay granite arcade to north aisle of Pevsner A-type piers with carved capitals and the moulding continuing on the 4- centred arches. Tall pointed rubble tower arch. The roofs have all been replaced during restoration. Late C19 carved pulpit, choir stalls and benches. Medieval Barnstaple floor tiles cover part of the nave and north chapel. Small Norman font with fluted edge to bowl. In north chapel are 3 C16 floor memorial, one of 1599 to Elizabeth Pomeroy, the others considerably worn. On north wall is a marble obelisk shaped memorial to Arscott Bickford of Dunsland who died 1771. Adjoining it is a large slate wall memorial to members of the Bickford family who died at various times in the C18. Next to this is a good memorial dated 1659, 1686, and 1662 to William Bickford, his wife Grace and Arthur Ascott of Dunsford. It is slate with a Corinthian column either side surmounted by a broken pediment with armorial shield at centre and winged angel's head below. Beyond are 2 C19 marble memorials to the Heysetts of Baracott. Source: Beatrix Cresswell: Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Holsworthy; Kelly's Directory 1906

Listing NGR: SS4212707220

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Holsworthy
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)

National Grid Reference: SS 42127 07220

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105088 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2017 at 05:32:25.

End of official listing