CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1105096

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1989

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETROCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105096 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 01:29:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Newton St. Petrock

National Grid Reference: SS 41130 12236

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NEWTON ST PETROCK NEWTON ST PETROCK SS 41 SW

3/48 Church of St Petrock -

GV II*

Parish church. Mainly C15 and C16 but tower probably earlier and chancel reveals Early English origins. Restored and enlarged in 1887 under the architect Samuel Hooper of Hatherleigh. Stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof. Plan: nave, south aisle and chapel, west tower and south porch. The Early English windows to the chancel along with the Norman font suggest the origins of the Church but it was largely remodelled in the C15 and early C16 century when the south aisle and porch were also added. The form of the tower suggests it might be pre- Perdendicular. An extensive restoration took place in 1887 when the chancel was extended by 3 feet, the former pews removed and the church reseated with benches in which ancient woodwork was incorporated and some also used in the construction of the pulpit. The roofs and most of the windows were renewed and new pinnacles set on the tower. Exterior: 2 stage unbuttressed west tower, battlemented with obelisk finials. C20 2-light west window with simple tracery. Trefoiled belfry lights. North wall has 2 early C16 2-light mullion windows with segmental heads. To their east is rectangular rood stair projection. Beyond that is an Early English or circa 1300 2- light window with Y-tracery. Large late C19 Perpendicular style east window. The east window of the aisle is debased Perpendicular of 3 lights. On the south wall of the aisle are 3 late C19 Decorated style windows. C15 gabled porch with 4-centred granite arch which has roll and hollow moulding and moulded imposts to jambs. Slate sundial above dated 1723. Interior: porch has completely restored roof. Granite south doorway with basket arch and ogee and hollow moulding. 4-bay granite south arcade of Pevsner A-type piers with cup capitals and 4-centred moulded arches. Pointed rubble tower arch. In north chancel wall is granite doorway with depressed 4-centred arch which formerly led to rood loft but the steps now lead to the pulpit. Internal walls have C20 plaster apart from exposed stonework to west wall. Roofs are all late C19 arch-braced construction. Pulpit re-uses old carved panels depicting emblems of the passion. The benches also incorporate carving from the old pews, probably dating to the C16 with some Renaissance motifs. Norman tub front set on base incorporating medieval 3arnstaple tiles which are also evident on the floors.

Listing NGR: SS4113012236

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91601

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing