CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1105150

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105150 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:28:10.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Landcross

National Grid Reference: SS 46275 23847

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LANDCROSS SS42SE 7/119 Church of Holy 20.2.58 Trinity GV. II * Anglican parish church. C15. Coursed slatestone rubble, rendered to north; gabled slate roof; early C19 bell cupola to west, clad in slate hanging and with ball finial surmounting pyramidal roof. Nave and chancel. East gable wall has curved timbers at ceiling height; hood mould over 3-light Perpendicular window with panel tracery. Two-bay south wall has label moulds over 2 and 3-light mullioned windows with trefoiled square heads; heads of 3-light windows have been restored in late C19. Late C19 gabled porch with chamfered pointed-arched doorway. Label mould over similar 3-light trefoil-headed window in west gable. Interior: C15 waggon roof with moulded ribs throughout; roof in chancel has finely-carved vine trails and 2 angels. Fittings: early C17 panelling and C16 linenfold panelling to rear of reredos. Pulpit has early C16 decoratively-carved panels reset in mid C19 frame. Fine C16 bench ends have carved tracery, blank shields under cinquefoiled arches, carved heads and figures. C15-C16 floor tiles. C12 cushion-shaped font set on column with cable moulding; the font is set in the west gable wall and is flanked by reset C16 linenfold panels and C17 engaged balusters. C18 Royal Arms on west wall. Monuments: slatestone slab to Anthony Clifford, d. 1649, next to pulpit; C17-C18 ledger stones. Tablet to John Wills, d. 1861, in nave. Stained glass: plain glass with coloured borders presented by John Ford, 1870. (Buildings of England: North Devon, p,l14; National Monuments Record).

Listing NGR: SS4627523847

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 91436

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952), 114

End of official listing