NETHERCOTT HOUSE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH-WEST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105237
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1952
Statutory Address:
NETHERCOTT HOUSE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH-WEST

Map

Ordnance survey map of NETHERCOTT HOUSE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH-WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105237.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 04:53:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
NETHERCOTT HOUSE AND STABLES ADJOINING TO NORTH-WEST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Iddesleigh
National Grid Reference:
SS 56385 06821

Details

IDDESLEIGH SS 50 NE 4/252 Nethercott House and stables 20.2.52 adjoining to north-west GV II Small country house. 1871. Believed to have been built by a local architect for William Arnold. Stone rubble walls of rock-faced rustification. Steep pitched gable ended tile roofs. Several stone rubble chimney stacks also of rock faced rustication. Plan: double detph plan with side entrance at right end into passage, with small study to its right, leading to stair hall. To the front of this are the 3 principal rooms overlooking the garden - the central and right-hand ones are now one L-shaped room. At the left end of the stairhall and principal rooms is a narrower service range with kitchen at the rear. Exterior: 3 storeys. Tall symmetrical 3 window range to the right with larger lower service rnage to the left. Principal range has a large gable at each end, with stone copings and armorial shield at apex. 3-light stone mullion window on 2nd floor of each gable. Below is a 4-light mullion and transom window each with a small central colonnette. Between the 2 gables is a 2-light mullion window. Large 3-light bay window on ground floor to each side of mullion transomed lights. Central doorway with side-lights and transom over C19 glazed double doors. At the left-hand end of this range the chimney stack projects on a corbel table. The service range set back from the left-hand end has asymmetrical front with 3 mullion and transom windows and a small gable over the central 1st floor one. The principal entrance is on the right-hand end wall and has an imposing single storey Jacobean style balustraded porch. This has a round arched doorway and frieze above the strapwork devices. Late C19 or early C20 double panelled doors. Irregular rear elevation has large stair window with square section mullions in large projecting gable to left. projecting from the right-hand end of the house is a single storey stable wing with central gable and 3 doorways. Interior: partly in the Jacobean style with large dog-leg staircase and ceiling of moulded beams and joists in left-hand room. Other features, however are more classical such as moulded egg and dart cornices and ceiling bands in the central and right-hand rooms. The hall and stairs have a panelled and carved dado which is dated 1903. Both exterior and interior of the house survive relatively unaltered. To include small section of crenellated walls to north east of house incorporating gate piers with conical caps.

Listing NGR: SS5638506821

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
93233
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/13016/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Dukes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].