WELL-HEAD AND SHELTER ABOUT 50 METRES WEST-SOUTH-WEST OF PRESSLAND HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1105280
Date first listed:
29-Feb-1988
Statutory Address:
WELL-HEAD AND SHELTER ABOUT 50 METRES WEST-SOUTH-WEST OF PRESSLAND HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WELL-HEAD AND SHELTER ABOUT 50 METRES WEST-SOUTH-WEST OF PRESSLAND HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105280 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 01:46:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
WELL-HEAD AND SHELTER ABOUT 50 METRES WEST-SOUTH-WEST OF PRESSLAND HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Hatherleigh
National Grid Reference:
SS 55309 02161

Details

HATHERLEIGH SS50SE Well-head and Shelter 7/250 about 50 metres west- south-west of Pressland House - II Well-head and shelter. The well is 1889, the shelter 1897. The shelter over the well is built of timber with a fishscale red clay tile roof. Situated on the roadside the shelter is octagonal on plan and open-sided with 8 polygonal timber posts and shaped braces with fleur-de-lys cusping supporting the moulded wall- -plate. The octagonally hipped roof has a wrought-iron finial at the apex with leaf decoration and a small pennant which may be a weathervane. Carved into the wall-plate is the inscription:- "This water supply and seat was erected by S. H. Andrews October 1889 and this shelter by his widow June 1887". The seat under the shelter is missing but the pump and trough survive. The trough is a circular granite monolith, like a cider-apple crusher, from the centre of which is the iron pump in octagonal wooden casing; the pump handle is missing. The underside of the roof is boarded.

Listing NGR: SS5530902161

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
93132
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11163/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Norman Wigg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].