CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105434 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 16:02:45.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- Dartmoor Forest
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 58681 73714
In the entry for:
SX 57 SE
14/63 Church of St Michael
the entry shall be amended to read:
SX 57 SE LYDFORD PRINCETOWN 14/63 Church of St Michael 21.3.67 GV II*
Church. c1810-14, by Daniel Alexander; chancel improved 1868 to designs ofR.M. Fulford; nave arcades inserted, chancel extended and eastern bays of aisles added to designs of E.H. Sedding, 1898-1901; tower restored 1915 by Richardson and Gill. Granite rubble walls with dressed granite quotas; gabled slate roof PLAN: west tower, broad nave of five bays with passage aisles created by insertion of arcades by Sedding and chancel all under same roof; small NW porch and SE vestry. EXTERIOR: Each side to north and south has granite 2-light windows with Y-tracery, Sedding having repeated the original design in the added bays. Chancel with angled buttresses and 6-light east window with cinquefoiled heads arranged in 3 pairs between mullions which run straight up through flowing tracery to meet curve of arch, a typical Sedding motif West tower of 3 stages, divided by plat bands and with Y-tracery windows, parapet on plain corbel table with corner pinnacles and battlements; towards upper stage is quatrefoil set within a lozenge, probably for a clock. INTERIOR: plain arcades inserted by Sedding, with round arches set on square piers. Fine mid C18 hexagonal pulpit, with figures of the Evangelists and enriched carving, from Church of St Sidwell, Exeter (qv). Stained glass in east window by Mayer of Munich, in memory of the American prisoners-of-war who helped to build this church, especially the 218 who died here. Various C19 memorial tablets, including one to Sir Thomas Tyrwhitt, d.1833, by Barry of Plymouth. With the exception ofthe works to the east end, the exterior ofAlexander's church has survived intact. As such, it is of great historical importance as a memorial to the French and American prisoners who built it and as the architecturally most distinguished surviving building on the world-famous Dartmoor prison site.
LYDFORD PRINCETOWN SX 57 SE 14/63 Church of St Michael 21.3.67 GV II
Church. Built 1813, architect unknown but reputedly prisoners-of-war from the nearby prison (q.v.) provided the labour. Rebuilt in 1869 by Robert Fulford, enlarged in 1899 by E Sedding and further in 1916 by Richardson and Gill of London. Granite rubble walls with dressed granite quoins. Gable ended slate roof. Plan: Nave, very narrow north and south aisles, chancel, west tower, north porch and south vestry. The rebuild of 1869 included the addition of a sanctuary and the tower was added in 1916. Each side has 4 granite 2-light windows with Y-tracery. Vestry projects on south side. Leanto to north porch. 3-stage tower. The chancel is narrower and has granite buttresses on its east wall with a 6-light Perpendicular style window. Interior: plain 3-bay arcades of square piers with round arches. No chancel arch. Continuous wagon roof. Source: Devon C19 Churchs Project
Listing NGR: SX5868173714
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.