Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105512

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: CHURCH COTTAGE


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH COTTAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105512 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 10:10:01.


Statutory Address: CHURCH COTTAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Thrushelton

National Grid Reference: SX 44746 87572


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/341 Church Cottage -


Poorhouse and sexton's cottage now in use as a house. Circa early/mid C17, partly rebuilt in the early C19. Stone rubble and cob with a Delabole slate roof gabled at the left end, hipped at the right end, formerly thatched. Stone stack at left end, large C17 rendered stack with brick shaft on ridge. Single depth plan 3-rooms wide which may originally have had a cross passage. The right-hand end of the house is C17. A 1680 glebe terrier refers to the division of the house into 2, one consisting of "one lower room which is a wood house and one chamber over it which is planked". This probably refers to the extant 2 right-hand rooms, the first floor room being heated from the C17 stack and formerly reached by an external stair at the right end. A circa early C17 ground floor fireplace to the same stack heats the middle room which was presumably the hall of the second 1680 property which may have been 2 rooms and a through passage. In the early C19 the entire left-hand end of the house was rebuilt or remodelled with Tudor style fenestration. C20 renovations and repair. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front with off-centre shallow gabled stone porch leading into the stair hall. All the windows on the front elevation are 3-light casements with timber arched lights and diagonal leaded panes, except ground floor window right which is a 2-light casement with 6-panes per light inserted in a blocked doorway. Windows throughout have slate sills and the ground floor windows have flat stone arches. Interior Ground floor timber lintel with straight cut stops and exposed joists of slender scantling. The circa early C17 fireplace to the middle room is massive with chamfered granite jambs and a chamfered timber lintel with runout stops. First floor right has a large fireplace with a timber lintel, axial beam and exposed joists introduced in the late C20. Pegged tie beam trusses have a probably later collar. A circa early C19 architect's plan and elevation of the house exists in the parish records.

Listing NGR: SX4474687571


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92584

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing