- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105539.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2021 at 05:15:49.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- Milton Abbot
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 39816 79186
SX 37 NE MILTON ABBOT
9/201 Edgcumbe - 21.3.67 GV II*
House, formerly the seat of the Edgcumbe family, now a farmhouse. C16 origins, remodelling of 1719, C19 and C20 additions. Stone rubble colourwashed and plastered to the front, slate roofs gabled at ends, 1 block with a hipped end, stone and brick stacks. The C16 courtyard plan house has been largely obscured by later alterations and piecemeal development. Some of the internal features appear to have been moved, probably in the C19. The main range faces east and was rebuilt in 1719 (datestone) at the higher end. The lower end has a completely different floor level and is under a lower roofline. The fabric of the north range lower end is probably C16 or C17. The west range at rear consists of a series of adjoining blocks with some intrusion into the courtyard. The south range at the rear of the higher end appears to be late C19 or early C20. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3:1 window east front, the right-hand end under a lower roofline, the left-hand block 2 storeys and attic with deep eaves carried out over coving, and a moulded string at first floor level is dated 1719 over the front door with the initials "T G E". The segmental moulded granite doorway at the right of the block is, however, probably C17 with volute stops and a good contemporary C17 door has a segmental head and moulded rails and muntins. Above the door is a fine shell hood of 1719 carried on moulded timber brackets. The first floor window above the doorway is probably also of 1719, a 24-pane sash. The other windows in the block are circa early C19 tripartite sashes without horns, 8-panes per sash, the 2 ground floor windows with keystones. 3 attic dormers have 2-light C19 casements with glazing bars. The right-hand block has 1 first floor 5-light window with a high transom. The north elevation has a chamfered arched stone doorway which is probably C16 and the west elevation has 1 stone 2-light mullioned window to the ground floor. Interior A granite lintel, now internal, is dated 1592 with the initials "R E" The stair hall has a good early C18 stair with turned balusters and some bolection moulded and some linenhold panelling, the linenfold probably not in situ. A chimney piece which may not in situ, set across the corner of the lower end room in the east range contains the Edgcumbe arms in plaster and is dated 1675 with the initials "I P E". A good C17 door with diamond panels survives in the same room. Some C17 plaster cornices survive and the higher end of the main range has bolection moulded chimney pieces and some contemporary early C18 doors.
Listing NGR: SX3981679186
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing