WELL HOUSE STONE PIER AND RUSTIC SEAT IN THE DAIRY DELL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105547

Date first listed: 21-Mar-1967

Statutory Address: WELL HOUSE STONE PIER AND RUSTIC SEAT IN THE DAIRY DELL

Map

Ordnance survey map of WELL HOUSE STONE PIER AND RUSTIC SEAT IN THE DAIRY DELL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105547 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 10:16:12.

Location

Statutory Address: WELL HOUSE STONE PIER AND RUSTIC SEAT IN THE DAIRY DELL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Milton Abbot

National Grid Reference: SX 38970 78601

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 37 NE MILTON ABBOT ENDSLEIGH

9/222 Well-house stone pier and rustic - seat in the Dairy Dell 21.3.67

GV II Well-house pier and rustic seat forming a single Picturesque composition of 1810. The well house is medieval, as is part of the masonry of the seat. The well-house was moved from Leigh Barton (qv) to Endsleigh in circa 1810 by the 6th Duke of Bedford to form part of the landscaped gardens designed by Humphry Repton. The internal masonry is local ashlar and probably medieval, the rustic stone rubble exterior is probably 1810. The well-house and a gabled stone pier of similar size flank a rustic seat which is a timber bench in front of a medieval stone slab with blind trefoil-headed arcading. The well-house has a gabled stone slate roof. Small rectangular structure with a rectangular opening with 1 moulded stone applied as a jamb which may not be original to the well-house. The interior has a moulded stone corbel with a decoration of blind pointed arcading. A cobbled drain leads from the well into the pond in the Dairy Dell. A picturesquely irregular inscription panel in the gable reads "This simple structure inclosed the holy well which served as a baptismal font to the Abbots of Tavistock at their hunting seat at Leigh in this parish". The stone pier has rustic stone rubble masonry and a gabled stone slate roof. Numerous pieces of moulded and carved medieval masonry are scattered about the well-house and no doubt originated at Leigh Barton.

Listing NGR: SX3897078601

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 92464

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,

End of official listing