This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE BLUE LION PUBLIC HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE BLUE LION PUBLIC HOUSE

List entry Number: 1105581

Location

THE BLUE LION PUBLIC HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lewtrenchard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 92345

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEWDOWN

4/98 The Blue Lion Public House - II

Public house. Circa 1900 probably designed by Sabine Baring-Gould. Stone rubble with gabled slate roofs, partly slate-hung, brick chimneys. Arts and Crafts style. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 3-window front with a gabled cross wing at the right-hand end and a 2-storey gabled porch on the front at the left. The porch has a chamfered arched stopped stone doorway below a 2-light casement, 6-panes per light. The crosswing has ornamental slate-hanging in the gable carried out over a moulded bressumer above a first floor 4-light casement, 8-panes per light, and an ornamental slate-hung pentice carried out over a moulded bressumer above the ground floor casement, 5-light 8-panes per light. The rest of the range is whitewashed and rendered to the ground floor and slate-hung above with a moulded bressumer between. There is a later C20 additon at the left end. Sabine Baring-Gould was both squire and parson of Lew Trenchard from 1881 until his death in 1924. He was a High Churchman, antiquarian and prolific author of fiction and theological works. In An Old English Home he devoted a chapter to the history of the village inn and its benefits for village society. Sabine Baring-Gould, An Old English Home (1898).

Listing NGR: SX4499186693

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Baring Gould, S, An Old English Home, (1898)

National Grid Reference: SX 44991 86693

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105581 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2017 at 05:56:03.

End of official listing