This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD RECTORY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD RECTORY

List entry Number: 1105587

Location

THE OLD RECTORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lewtrenchard

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 92360

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 48 NE LEW TRENCHARD LEW TRENCHARD

4/114 The Old Rectory - II

House, formerly rectory. 1906, designed by Sabine Baring-Gould. Stone rubble, slate hung to the first floor with a slate roof with sprocketted eaves gabled at ends. Rendered stacks on ridge. Arts and Crafts style. Double depth plan with rear wing. 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical. 5-bay front with deep coved eaves carried out round a central 2-storey gabled porch with a swept slate canopy carried on timber brackets. Pointed arched half-glazed front door in a chamfered stone architrave, 4-light casement, 6 panes per light above porch canopy. A glazed lean-to addition with a slate roof to ground floor left. Ground floor windows right 3-light casements, 8-panes per light. The first floor window to either side of the porch are 3-light casements, 6-panes per light. Long attic dormers each have 3-light casements, 4-panes per light. Interior Contemporary 6-panel doors, cornices and staircase with turned balusters. 1 Adam style chimneypiece said to have been brought from Lew House (now the Manor Hotel). Sabine Baring-Gould was both squire and parson at Lew Trenchard from 1881 until his death in 1924. He was a High Churchman, antiquarian and prolific author of fiction and theological works. In 1906 Coombe Trenchard (q.v.) was built on the site of the former Rectory and Baring-Gould built this house closer to the parish church.

Listing NGR: SX4542586206

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 45425 86206

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105587 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2017 at 11:40:56.

End of official listing