FORMER CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF BRIGHTLEY FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1105611

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: FORMER CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF BRIGHTLEY FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF BRIGHTLEY FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 01:26:54.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER CHAPEL APPROXIMATELY 10 METRES SOUTH OF BRIGHTLEY FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Okehampton Hamlets

National Grid Reference: SX 59874 97316

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OKEHAMPTON HAMLETS SX 59 NE

4/94 Former Chapel approximately 10 - metres South of Brightley Farmhouse

GV II

Outbuilding, reputedly formerly a chapel. Medieval, much altered probably in C19 and C20. Local stone rubble walls considerably heightened in brick. Gable ended corrugated iron roof. Plan: Single cell plan with original entrance in right gable end. Probably in C19 doorways were inserted on front and rear walls but the building is likely to have ceased being a chapel long before this; in the C20 the roof was raised. Single storey. Central cart entrance under a pentice roof supported on wooden posts which extends along the front wall. Original doorway, now blocked, is in right gable end and constructed of dressed granite voussoirs in a round-headed arch with dressed granite jambs. Interior: no original features survive and the roof structure is probably C20. Brightley is the site of a religious house founded in 1133 by Richard Fitz Baldwin and occupied by a superior and twelve monks who arrived from Waverley Abbey to build a new monastery. They abandoned Brightly in 1141 and were given a new site at Ford in East Devon which subsequently became Ford Abbey. Source: W G Hoskins - Devon

Listing NGR: SX5987497316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 94337

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hoskins, W G, 'A New Survey of England' in Devon, (1972)

End of official listing