This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE MANOR HOUSE HOTEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE MANOR HOUSE HOTEL

List entry Number: 1105901

Location

THE MANOR HOUSE HOTEL, 2, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Cullompton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 24-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 95282

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULLOMPTON FORE STREET (west side), ST 00 NW Cullompton 10/92 No. 2 (The Manor House Hotel) - 24.10.51 GV II* Hotel, formerly a merchant's house. Built 1603 for Thomas Trock, clothier; extended and embellished, 1718. Coursed rubble to ground floor, also right-hand end wall and left-hand party wall; timber framed above, under 4 gabled-end slate roofs. The building occupies the front of a medieval tenement; 3-room, through-passage plan, with lower-end (right of passage) rear wing; rear extension and front shell porch of 1718. A full, detailed report by John R L Thorp, with elevations and plans, in MS, dated June 1983, should be consulted before any decisions are made regarding this building. Parlour heated by left-hand end stack; hall by rear lateral stack; lower- end by (now dismantled) right-hand end stack; the chamber above the hall was certainly heated and the other 1st floor chambers probably heated, as part of the early-C17 design. 3 storeys. Front: 4 bays, each bay separately gabled; ground floor with main entrance marking former through passage right of centre now under shell hood on shaped brackets and Tuscan columns, with panelled reveals. The porch and the three 5-light casement windows, 21 leaded panes per light, date from 1718. 1st floor: 3 oriels; those to hall and parlour chambers each of 6 lights; that to lower-end chamber (extending over passage) of 10 lights; all with ovolo moulded mullions and transom, the latter with central King-post; 3 horizontal glazing bars to all, with some elaborate iron latches; attention is drawn to the detailed comments on the ferramenta in Thorp's report. Oriel supported on scroll brackets and coved between, 1 to each room under separate gable, all renewed. Scroll brackets support roof valleys. Facade flanked by stone side walls, corbelled out at 2nd floor level; each bears inscription stone, 'TT' and bench mark to the left, '1603, T.T.' to the right. Right-hand elevation (Tiverton Lane) retains its original guttering with vine leaf decoration. Rear with rainwater head dated 1718; brick with burnt headers; large round-headed window lights stairwell. 2 of the C17 gable-walls survive exposed. Interior: internal partitions all timber framed; hall cross beam (now concealed) with double ovolo-moulding and run-out stops; hall chamber fireplace (now concealed) with ovolo moulded sandstone jambs; C17 newel staircase survives at 1st and 2nd floor levels; one of the 2nd floor rooms retains its square-headed, ovolo-moulded door surround. C18 stairwell, stairs with flat handrail, square newel posts, twisted balusters and moulded closed string. C18 round-headed arch to stairs; hall with bolection panelling, and - to the ceiling - ogee cornice and 2 arch panels (copied on the renovated lower-end ceiling in the early 1980s); contemporary plaster cornices elsewhere. Roof: 4 separate roofs with gabled ends towards street; 2 trusses to each, morticed and pegged at apex; collar dovetailed and fixed by nails; 2 sets of through purlins; front bays with wind braces. Reference: this report is heavily dependent upon the detailed survey by J R L Thorp (1983); Mr Thorp kindly made the survey available to the- resurvey team (1985).

Listing NGR: ST0204307329

Selected Sources

Other
Thorp, J R L, (1983)

National Grid Reference: ST 02045 07340

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105901 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2017 at 02:08:53.

End of official listing