- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE WALRONDS, 6, FORE STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105902 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 04:36:12.
- Statutory Address:
- THE WALRONDS, 6, FORE STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Mid Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- ST 02045 07311
CULLOMPTON FORE STREET (west side),
ST 00 NW
10/94 No. 6 (The Walronds)
Large detached town house. Completed in 1605, with later (C18 and particularly C19) modifications. Built by John Peter, the house came into the possession of the Portman family in the late C17 and was tenanted by the Walronds, hence its name. Local coursed sandstone rubble with some volcanic trap, and Beerstone dressing. Gabled-end slate roofs, with some asbestos slate to rear of south (left-hand) cross-wing. Plan: single-depth main range containing through-passage, hall (to the right) heated by an external rear lateral stack, and service-end (to the left) which consists of several small rooms, considerably reordered over the years, but retaining the original buttery, pantry and kitchen; 2 cross-wings which, with the main range, present a symmetrical front, but a markedly asymmetrical rear elevation. The 1st floor of the main range contained 2 main bedrooms, one heated by an external stack that is separate from but adjacent to the hall stack. These rooms were further subdivided in the late C19, when a front corridor was inserted; it is possible, although unlikely, that th eupper floor of the main range originally was comprised of a single long gallery; access to it is by way of 2 stairs, a newel from the service-end and a dog- leg string staircase (altered int he C18) which leads up into the attic and which occupies the rear of the north cross wing forming, in effect, a stair turret with a cellar below, but above ground level. The front section of this wing contains the parlour with a principal bedroom above, both heated by an external lateral stack. The original plan of the south wing is more difficult to reconstruct: the Great Chamber (1st floor, to the front) is heated by an external lateral stack that is corbelled out at this level; the room below, presumably used for storage, was unheated. The wing extended further to the rear than it does now (foundations survive under the rear yard) but was partially dismantled, probably in the C18. Unlike the remainder of the house this wing is of jointed cruck construction. Original garret accommodation survives here. Some truncated rafters survive at the junction of the wing with the main range suggesting that either the newel stair was separately gabled (cf Bradninch Manor) or that another wing was projected. 2 1/2 storeys. Exterior: front: symmetrical, the main range and the 2 cross wings enclose a small cobbled forecourt. Wings each of one bay with an inner face of 2 bays; main range of 3 bays, the central entrance bay, blind to 1st floor, rising almost to almost the roof ridge level and separately gabled. Dressed stone quoins and moulded plinth string course. Garret windows, one to each gable wall of wing, of 4-lights; all other windows of 3-lights; all with double ovolo moulded Beerstone surrounds and mullions; all (except gable-wall windows) under sandstone hood moulds. Leaded panes, some latticed, many with stanchions. Wide ovolo moulded door surround. All gables with coping and surmounted by square obelisks. Left-hand (south) elevation: truncated external stack, corbelled out, heats the great chamber; one 3-light window, with multiple roll moulded surround and mullions, lacking its sill; one old doorway surround not in situ (possibly removed in C19); other windows to this side C19 or C20. The timber carriage entrance arch to the access to the rear tenement, with ovolo moulded surround, is possibly contemporary with the house. Right-hand (north) elevation: external lateral stack with 2 pairs of set-offs heats parlour and parlour-chamber. One 2-light cyma recta moulded stone window to attic, another weathered 2-light window to 1st floor, of indeterminate moulding; the rear part of the wing (containing the stairs) projects with one single-light ovolo moulded window set at lst floor level to the front face of the projection. Rear: external lateral stack to left with pair of set-offs, with stack serving chamber above attached to it corbelled at eaves level. Stone shafts. One 2-light and one 3-light window to the right-hand side of stack at 1st floor level, one of 3- lights to the left, all with ovolo moulded stone surrounds and mullions, 24 leaded panes per light. 3-light window to ground floor, left of stack, ovolo moulded as above, but with hood mould; a 2-light window to right of stack, has no hood mould, but a composite ovolo and cyma recta moulding to surround and jambs. Rear door surround with ovolo moulding. To the right of this and set in the angle between main range and south wing is the newel stair turret lit by a 2-light ovolo moulded window to 1st and ground floor level; a quatrefoil and a shallow pointed lancet have been reset at ground level, probably in the C19. Inner face of south wing with 3-light ovolo moulded ground floor window and a C19 chamfered door surround, the other windows also later, the 3-light ovolo moulded window under timber hood mould to rear of wing possibly C18. Inner and rear faces of north wing with 2 and 3 light ovolo moulded stone windows severely weathered; what since the C18 has been the cellar set below the stairs but above ground, is lit by small lancets. Interior: (1) Through-passage: ground floor rooms both plank and muntin screens survive, with cyma recta mouldings, hollow step stops, carpenter's mitres; 2 doorways, moulded with cranked lintels to both screens, one to the hall blocked. C18 panelled doors. Service-end: deep chamfered ceiling cross beams to kitchen. Rear newel with octagonal newel post and finial, and original treads and risers. The arrangement of the ground floor rooms at this level has been much altered; post and wattle partitions (possibly C17) survive dividing the kitchen from the other rooms in the wing, but most internal walls are probably C19; the ground floor storage area of the south wing formerly extended well back with 2 deep chamfered cross beams, one with bulbous step stops. Hall: the hall side of the passage screen has had deal horizontal pieces inserted to match the higher end screen that divides the hall from the stair passage; this screen is of 4 tiers, scratch moulding, with debased fluted Ionic pilasters; cornice to room with composite moulding and a frieze of tulips (continuous except to lower end). Chimneypiece with overmantel, dated 1605, stone jambs and lintel with continuous cyma recta moulding and bulbous step stops; the plaster overmantel with strapwork decoration, a central panel containing the impaled arms of Peter and Parris, and swags of fruit and flowers; the whole with 2 Indians as bearers. Cyma recta moulded door surround to front parlour and to stair passage, one with early fielded-panel door. C18 barley-sugar balusters and rail added to C17 main string stair. Parlour (north wing): wall panelling, 5 tiers, the upper panels with inlay work, each divided by decorated brackets; chimneypiece with Ionic pilasters, a cornice forming capitals to pilasters, lintel and jambs with composite ovolo and cyma recta moulding; the overmantel with inlaid wooden arches; dentilled cornice, double detached shafts. Plaster ceiling with single ribbed design based on a central device of 8 radiating ribs, with interseting squares and angle sprays. 3 C17 window catches survive in this room. (2) lst floor: The Great Chamber: fine single-ribbed plaster ceiling with central floral motif, 6 radiating ribs, with squares and concave-sided diamonds, and angle sprays. Chimneypiece with continuous composite moulded stone lintel and jambs, a moulded cornice with fleurons; overmantel with arms of Parris impaling Peter, 2 angel bearers, contained in a strapwork scroll surround and with the date 1605; moulded cornice. The chamber had a small ante-chamber approached through a door-surround with pediment, cranked lintel, and fluted pilasters. Parlour chamber: plaster ceiling with a single motif and single ribs, based on a simplified variant of parlour ceiling design; continuous decorated cornice. Cranked doorway lintel and moulded jambs. Rear bedroom: fireplace with stone jambs with composite moulding, with wooden lintel; overmantel with what is possibly a hop or wheat motif, and a vine. Roofs and attic: ceiled, coved garret to south wing, with jointed crucks; the remainder cleared of internal partitions in 1890; 3 trusses to main elevation; apex carpentry of principals, morticed and pegged, tie beams. The roof construction of The Walronds bears close affinities with that to The Manor House Hotel of 1603 (q.v.) References: this fine early C17 town house which is remarkably intact, has not been properly surveyed. Useful notes by Miss June Severn were made available at the time of the resurvey (March 1985). The plasterwork is discussed briefly in K & G French "Devonshire Plasterwork", Trans. Devonshire Association 89, (1957), 129; it is there suggested that the plasterwork at The Walronds has similarities with the work of William Arnold (cf work at Montacute House, Somerset).
Listing NGR: ST0204507316
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 89, (1957), 129
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing