This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BRADNINCH MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BRADNINCH MANOR

List entry Number: 1105925

Location

BRADNINCH MANOR, PARSONAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bradninch

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 16-Sep-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 11-Jun-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 95237

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRADNINCH PARSONAGE STREET (north side), ST OO SW Bradninch 12/45 Bradninch Manor (formerly listed - 16.9.77 as Manor House) - I Large detached house, formerly the manor house. Built 1547 for Peter Seynthill; cross wings added early in the C17; Hall remodelled early in the C18: later alterations. Central range, brick to front, cob to rear; coursed rubble volcanic trap cross wings under gabled-end slate roofs. The single-depth central range with hall at ground level, bedrooms above, and rear corrider, to all appearances dating from the early C18, occupies the site of the 1547 Hall described in 1645 as 'Peter's great and lofty hall'; part of the roof of this survives, the pair of columns at the end of the present hall probably marks the position of the screens passage; the rear cob wall may also date from this period. The left-hand cross wing contains the C17 principal rooms and ground staircase; the right-hand wing contained the dining room, servery and kitchen but has been subsequently much re- ordered. 2 axial stacks to main range; one partially dismantled external lateral wing to right-hand elevation (possibly the end stack to the original main range); rear end stack to left-hand cross wing and another to the inner face of same. All intact stacks with brick shafts. 2 storeys throughout, the wings with attic storey. Front: Central range of 5 bays, symmetrical; hornless sash windows throughout, 6 panes to 1st floor, 12 to ground floor, all with moulded timber architraves, that to the central 1st floor window lugged and shouldered. Brick window arches with keystones. Plat band. Central doorway under pediment with carnice and modillions, Tuscan pilasters; glazed inner and outer doors. Moulded gutter box extends to inner faces of wings, neither of which have windows. Fronts of both wings are identical: one window per floor all with ovolo moulded stone surronds; 5-light attic window; 4-light window with ovolo moulded transom to 1st and ground floor; all with leaded panes, 16 per light to 1st and ground floor, 18 to left hand attic window, 8 to right-hand. Moulded plinth around the whole. Terracotta mounted horsemen to gable apexes of wings (not visible in photograph of 1913). Right-hand elevation: porch with moulded cornice and 2 Ionic columns; 2-light window above and small dormer; the external stack and some rough cast cob may be mid-C16. Left-hand elevation: all stone: basement with two 2-light stone windows, the mullions and jambs with ovolo moulding, the lintel chamfered. Ground-floor with 3 four-light windows, timber with transom, the jambs ovolo moulded, the principal mullians and transom keeled, the subordinate mullions flat- faced; 1st floor with two 5-light windows, and one of 6 lights, timber, the lintel at eaves level, 18 leaded panes per light and some armorial glass. Rear: one single and one double wing, the former with stair turret in angle formed by junction of wing and main range, 2 single-light windows to 1st floor, and one 2- light window to ground floor, with C20 casements. This wing is partly of cob and may represent the former lower-end wing. Double wing, each component separately gabled; the inner and smaller wing with tall 3-light stone window with 2 transoms, to light great staircase, with hood mould and animal stops, ovolo moulded, all leaded. 3-light window to ground floor, ovolo moulded, with one fleur-de-lis stop, leaded panes, stanchions and saddle bars; main rear wing with 3-light stone window to basement, with chamfered surround. lst floor windows with 3-light timber windows, each light ogee-headed with latticed leading. Interior: of the 1547 Hall roof, 4 trusses visible, collars removed, trenched purlins with run-out stops. The early-C17 work is of a very high standard of design and craftsmanship. Both the wood and plasterwork have similarities with other commissions close to Exeter and is probably the work of an atelier in that city. The internal porch in the 'Job Room' is one of a very small group, and has strongest affinities with that at nearby Bradfield (Uffculme parish). After the illegal removal (by former occupants in 1980) of several of the C17 rooms, only the 'Job Room' and the main staircase from this scheme remains intact. The former is an exceptionally fine room: plaster ceiling with central pendant and geometrical designs made up of double ribs with pomegranate panels and angle sprays. Pomegranates also feature on the plaster cornice moulding. Wooden panelling throughout, 5 panels high, the main sections 4 panels wide and divided by pilasters which are all different in design with trophies, musical instruments and arabesques; arcaded frieze and cornice above. The internal porch, set in one of the corners of the room has panelled sides, one richly decorated Corinthian column to each side of the panelled door rest on arcaded bases; the entablature with panels filled with intricate floral designs and heads, and surmounted by a strapwork crest with figures at the angles. The overmantle to the stone fireplace (with an ovolo moulded segmentally-headed arch) displays episodes from the patriarch Job's trials and tribulations, with Abraham and Isaac, and Jacob wrestling with the angel, amongst other narrative scenes, each pictorial panel divided by double pilasters, under a rich entablature, the whole supported by caryatids on panelled bases. Dog-leg grand staircase, with turned balusters, moulded string, a formal foliage run along side of handrail, the bobbin newels with lion's heads affixed, one griffin newel finial survives. Of the library and King Charles Room, formerly fully panelled with overmantles etc, only the ovolo-moulded stone fireplaces remain, along with plaster cornice. The early-C18 hall - 'a noble, restrained, classical room' (Pevsner) - panelled with dentilled cornice throughout; 2 Ionic columns support a similary treated cross beam (and might mark the former screens passage); pair of panelled doors at either end with lugged architraves and entablature; one end chimney piece with lugged architrave and entablature with anthemion motifs, and a small central pediment. References: Pevsner, SD:p.59. A.L. Radford, 'Bradninch Manor Devon' Country Life: 13th Sept 1916; M. Jourdain, English Interior Decoration, 1500 to 1830, (1950) pp 15,20,27.

Listing NGR: ST0032904105

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Jourdain, M , English Interior Decoration 1500 to 1830, (1950), 15 20 27
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 59
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1916)

National Grid Reference: ST 00329 04105

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1105925 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2017 at 04:56:34.

End of official listing