This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SCHOOL AND MASTER'S HOUSE INCLUDING PLAYGROUND AND GARDEN WALLS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SCHOOL AND MASTER'S HOUSE INCLUDING PLAYGROUND AND GARDEN WALLS

List entry Number: 1106011

Location

SCHOOL AND MASTER'S HOUSE INCLUDING PLAYGROUND AND GARDEN WALLS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: South Tawton

National Park: DARTMOOR

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 95037

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SX 6493-6593 SOUTH TAWTON SOUTH ZEAL

8/302 School and Master's House including playground and garden walls

GV II

Board school and adjoining schoolmaster's house. Built in 1875 for 126 children; the architect was Charles Pinn of Exeter. Ironstone/slate rubble with rock-faced granite and Bathstone dressings. Slate roof with gabled ends and exposed rafter ends. The central range has an asbestos slate roof. Plan: long central range containing school rooms with a large school room cross- wing at the left-hand end and the schoolmaster's house at the right-hand end of 2 short staggered parallel ranges with a porch in the outer right angle and a short projecting wing at the front. An unusual design in Romanesque and Italianate styles; a late use of these styles. Exterior: single storey school and 2 storey masters house, Asymmetrical front elevation. The single storey central range has 1, 2 and 3-light round-headed windows with C19 horizontal pivot casements and a round-headed doorway to the right with a C19 plank door with wrought iron hinges. To the left in the central range 2 C20 doorways flanking a C20 casement with a C20 lean-to canopy over on timber posts. The principal feature of the building is the large cross-wing projecting at the left-hand end which has a tripartite window with round-headed lights and an oval panel above. The window is flanked by rusticated rock-faced granite buttresses, or piers, with imposts and a large round arch in the gable above which rises to a bellcot with 4 Norman style colonnettes with cushion capitals supporting a short pyramidal stone spire with an ornate wrought iron weathervane at the apex. The projecting verges of the cross-wing gable are supported on brackets and the corners of the cross-wing have rusticated rock-faced granite quoins. The left-hand side of the cross-wing has 4, 2-light round-headed windows symmetrically arranged. At the right-hand end the schoolmaster's house has a short projecting wing at the front with a C19 tripartite sash on the ground floor and a C19 4-pane sash above; set back to the right a round-headed stair window. The porch, set back again in the angle to the right also has a dressed Bathstone round arch. The later addition above the porch is slate hung. The corners of the master's house also have rock- faced granite quoins and continuous around the whole building there is a rock-faced granite plinth. Including the playground area and garden wall along the front of the whole building; it is coeval with the school; iron stone/slate rubble with rock-faced granite coping and rock-faced granite monolithic gate-posts with round heads and wrought iron gates with cast spear-head finials. Interior: not inspected but it seems that the open roof of the hall in the cross- wing has been ceiled. The cast-iron bell-frame and bell in the bellcot is intact. Source: Kelly's Directory 1902, Devon C19 Church Project.

Listing NGR: SX6511293634

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1902)

National Grid Reference: SX 65112 93634

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106011 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2017 at 04:14:07.

End of official listing