KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF WOOD HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106026
Date first listed:
04-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF WOOD HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF WOOD HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106026 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:19:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
KITCHEN GARDEN WALLS IMMEDIATELY NORTH EAST OF WOOD HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
South Tawton
National Grid Reference:
SX6552996078

Details

SX 69 NE SOUTH TAWTON

1/179 Kitchen garden walls immediately north-east of Wood House

GV II

Kitchen garden walls. 1899-1905 by Thomas Mawson. Granite rubble, carefully chosen to appear as walls of crazy paving with some granite ashlar dressing, some slate coping, some slate and brick dressings and slate roof to the service rooms and glass roofs to the hot and green houses. Plan and description: large kitchen garden built across a gentle slope facing north- east with a series of service buildings at the north-west end including the mens shed, tool shed, mushroom and forcing shed, seed store, fruit room and a 2-storey boiler room and potting shed. All these are granite with brick dressings and have timber casements with glazing bars and plain carpentry and joinery detail. In front of these are a series of glass-roofed structures inlcuding the peat house, vinerys, palm house, plant houses and cold frames; all glazed iron-framed structures, mostly on granite footings but some on brick (now disused). A lane separates the kitchen garden and its associated garden from Wood House (q.v.). The most noteworthy feature is the watering well or fountain in the north corner. Behind it the outer wall is higher than the rest with ashlar coping and series of small corbels. In front, that is to say, backing onto the house's service courtyard and facing into the kitchen garden, the watering reservoir is contained within a semi-circular retaining wall and was fed through a fountain in a blocked round-headed alcove defined by blocks up-ended slates set at alternative angles. The massive keystone here once included a bronze lion's head tap. The doorway to right of this has a round head and ovolo-moulded surround and contains the original door. To left, running parallel with the house the wall has flat-topped granite coping (some of it collapsed). Once past the house (where there is another doorway from the main formal garden) the walling reverts to slate coping. The kitchen garden is enormous and intended to produce an income rather than simply feed the household. It is part of an extensive landscaping scheme conceived by Mawson to go with the rebuilding of Wood House (q.v.). Mawson himself considered the whole one of his major achievements. Source: T H Mawson The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (5th edition) includes copious notes and illustrations of Wood House.

Listing NGR: SX6552996078

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94976
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mawson, T H , The Art and Craft of Garden Making, (1907)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].