CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106073 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 09:09:09.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- National Park:
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 73637 90849
SX 79 SW DREWSTEIGNTON DREWSTEIGNTON
5/96 Church of the Holy Trinity
Parish church. C15 and early C16, chancel rebuilt with new vestry in 1863. Coursed blocks of granite ashlar throughout but different styles to different periods; early detail of granite and Beerstone ashlar, C19 Bathstone detail; slate roof. Plan: C15 nave with lower chancel rebuilt in C19. North and south aisles, neither of them full length; the north one earlier (maybe early C15), the south one late C15 - early C16 with contemporary 2-storey south porch; C15 west tower. C19 vestry in angle of north aisle and chancel. Exterior: tall west tower of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet with corner pinnacles. Internal stair turret in south-west corner. Belfry windows are twin lancets. The west side has a 2-centred arch doorway with double- chamfered surround. Directly above is a 3-light window with granite Y-tracery and above that a C19 painted clockface. The south aisle and porch have set back buttresses and a continuous embattled parapet. The porch set left of centre interrupts the 5-bay front. The 4 windows are all 3 lights with Perpendicular granite tracery and plain hoodmoulds (another in the east end). Porch has projecting stair turret in angle with nave left side. Its outer arch is round-headed with moulded surround and contains C19 doors. Above twin round-headed lancets with sink spandrels. C19 chancel is Gothic in style including a 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery in east end. North aisle has original coping to gables, set back buttresses and 5-window front of 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds with carved head label stops, another in east end and west end is blind. Interior: porch has flagged floor and benches each side. South door is round- headed with double-chamfered surround and contains a C19 door. Nave has restored but essentially original open barrel vaulted roof with massive secondary strengthening crossbeams below. The north aisle has a ceiled wagon roof with moulded ribs and purlins, good carved oak bosses and wallplate enriched with four leaf decoration. The south aisle is similar but not identical and is now open. The chancel has a C19 version, open with crossbraces. Tall, plain tower arch springing from imposts. Moulded granite ashlar chancel arch is probably C19. Each side of nave are granite 5-bay arcades. Both have moulded piers with plain capitals but those to the south aisle are moulded Pevsner's Type A whilst those to the north aisle are Pevsner's Type B. Tiny round-headed doorway in south aisle to porch stair and north side of vestry has C15 2-centred arch to vestry. A monument in the south aisle seems to blocking granite segmental-headed arch of former rood stair turret. Walls are plastered and the flagged floor incorporates a high proportion of granite graveslabs dating from the C15, C16 and C17 and C18. The earliest with inscribed crosses and the best in the north aisle. Chancel furniture and fittings are all C19. Sanctuary is lined with small field panelling. Linenfold panelled reredos. Altar fronted carved with angels flanking the Agnus Dei C17 - style oak altar rail. Gothic style stalls. C16 style octagonal drum pulpit dated 1939. Brass eagle lecturn dated 1895. Gothic-style oak prayer desk dated 1954. Gothic style oak benches dated 1931 with some C19 pine box pews in aisles and rear of nave. One C15 oak bench end carved with blind tracery has been preserved. Norman-style Beerstone front built in 1893, a copy of the battered original now in the tower. Timber Gothic tower screen is a first word war memorial. C17 clock movement to rear of the nave. Painted arms of Elizabeth I over south door. C19 painted benefaction board to rear of south aisle records a gift of 1541. Benefaction board to rear of south aisle records a gift of 1541. North aisle has a pair of C19 painted boards recording the Ten Commandments. West end of north aisle has another painted board recording the Ringers Articles. A Beerstone plaque with moulded frame records the 1705 benefaction of one Thomas Hall. Of the memorials the oldest, at the west end of the south aisle, is dated 1701 but the name is illegible. The rest are C19, the best in memory of William Pensford (d. 1807) and his wife Mary (d. 1782). Some C19 stained glass. Not only is this an attractive Perpendicular Dartmoor Parish Church but it dominates the village and also can be seen for miles around. Source: Church Guide (1986).
Listing NGR: SX7363890850
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 26 October 2017.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Church of the Holy Trinity Drewsteignton Church Guide, (1986)
War Memorials Online, accessed 26 October 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/140548
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26013
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing