LANGSTON FARMHOUSE NORTH INCLUDING GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO FRONT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106136
Date first listed:
16-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
LANGSTON FARMHOUSE NORTH INCLUDING GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO FRONT

Map

Ordnance survey map of LANGSTON FARMHOUSE NORTH INCLUDING GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO FRONT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106136 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 20:19:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
LANGSTON FARMHOUSE NORTH INCLUDING GARDEN WALL ADJOINING TO FRONT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Throwleigh
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 67322 90115

Details

SX 69 SE THROWLEIGH

1/211 Langston Farmhouse north including - garden walls adjoining to front

GV II

Farmhouse, former Dartmoor longhouse. Probably C16 origins with late C17 improvements, and major renovation in 1892. Front is plastered but ends and rear show granite rubble walls with large quoins and in places massive blocks, walls raised in cob; granite stacks, one still with its original granite ashlar chimney shaft with moulded coping; thatch roof, corrugated iron to outshot. Plan and development: Originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan Dartmoor longhouse facing south-east and built down the hillslope. The shippon was then right (downhill) of the passage. The hall has an axial stack backing onto the passage. The inner room end was refurbished in the late C17 to provide a parlour with an end stack. The whole house was refurbished in 1892. Then the inner room was relegated to a dairy. The hall became a dining room and a kitchen was built on the back in a single storey outshot with end stack. The rear of the passage was blocked and a new stair built off the back end of the passage rising up the rear wall of the hall. A new parlour was built in the upper end of the shippon with an axial stack backing onto the rest of the old shippon which then became a stable or coach house. House is 2 storeys throughout. Exterior: Irregular 3-window front of 1892 fenestration, most are casements with glazing bars but the parlour and hall and parlour chambers have 16-pane sashes. The front passage doorway right of centre contains a contemporary 6-panel door. Much of the front has been replastered since 1892 but some of the scheme of that date survives. There was a plain eaves cornice and flat stucco architraves around the windows whilst the rest is incised as ashlar. Roof is gable-ended. The right gable end shows evidence of its former shippon use. No clear evidence of a drain but there is a slit window and hayloft loading hatch over. There is also a blocked cow doorway. Interior is largely the result of the 1892 refurbishment and most of its detail still survives. Plaster of that date covers most of the carpentry detail and a contemporary marble chimneypiece blocks the hall fireplace. However the late C17 parlour fireplace is exposed; granite rubble with curving pentan and plain oak lintel. Roof not inspected but the bases of steeply-pitched A-frame trusses show, probably put there in the late C17 when the walls were raised. There is a hint of a late C16 internal jetty at the upper end of the hall. The front garden is enclosed by a low granite stone rubble wall probably put there in 1892. Langston is a little modernised farmhouse in a a most picturesque group setting. It shows a long development in which the Victorian work is as important as the earlier structure. Source. Private family diaries record the refurbishment of 1892 and mention the conversion of the shippon. They also record much more interesting detail relating to the organisation of the farm at the turn of the century.



Listing NGR: SX6732290115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94743
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12315/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Paul Rendell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].