SOUTH CREABER FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106161
Date first listed:
16-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
SOUTH CREABER FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SOUTH CREABER FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106161.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 12:11:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
SOUTH CREABER FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
West Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Gidleigh
National Park:
DARTMOOR
National Grid Reference:
SX 66065 87947

Details

SX 68 NE GIDLEIGH

3/180 South Creaber Farmhouse - - II

House, former farmhouse. Probably C16 origins with C17 improvements, modernised and partly rebuilt circa 1920, some modernisation work of circa 1980. Granite stone rubble including a section of large coursed blocks of granite ashlar, the rebuilt service end is plastered; granite and brick stacks, the hall stack has its original granite ashlar chimney shaft; slate roof (probably thatch before circa 1920). Plan and development: 4-room plan house facing north-west and built down a gentle slope. The uphill right end room (at the south-west end) is a kitchen and has a gable end stack. The next room (right of centre) is a former dairy with a corridor along the rear connecting the kitchen to the hall. The hall has an axial stack backing onto the entrance hall which contains the staircase. At the left end is a parlour with gable end stack. It is evidently a house with a long and complex structural history. It was originally a 3-room-and-through-passage plan house and is reputed to have been a Dartmoor longhouse. The section of ashlar work stops with a straight join at the upper end of the dairy. The kitchen was probably added in the mid C17. The entrance hall and left end was rebuilt circa 1920 replacing the former through passage and shippon. Now 2 storeys throughout. Exterior. Irregular 3-window front of C20 casements with glazing bars; the dairy window was enlarged circa 1980. The right end is hidden behind a service wing rebuilt circa 1980. Left of centre is the doorway in the position of the front passage door which now lies behind a circa 1980 rubble porch with hipped roof. The main roof is gable-ended. The rear garden front has an irregular 5-window front of late C19 and C20 casements and including some circa 1920 horned 4-pane sashes. The blocking of the rear passage door also shows in the plaster. Interior. The oldest feature in the house is the hall fireplace; probably late C16- early C17; granite ashlar with hollow-chamfered surround. The dairy and hall show no carpentry details. The kitchen has a mid C17 soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped crossbeam but the fireplace here has been rebuilt. Since the C17 plan form is preserved in the hall, dairy, kitchen section more of the early fabric may survive behind later plaster. The lower end is a complete rebuild of circa 1920 and the whole roof was replaced at the same time.



Listing NGR: SX6606587947

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
94710
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/12713/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A J L B Rodwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].