This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1106237



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Cambridge

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 47263

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SIDNEY SUSSEX COLLEGE 1. 942 The Buildings surrounding Hall Court and Chapel Court TL 4458 NE 3/291 TL 4558 NW 4/291 26.4.50. I 2. The main buildings of the College were built in the year 1595-8 by Ralph Symons and formed three sides of an open court. In circa 1628 a second and detached block of buildings was built parallel to and to the South of Hall Court. This range is at present joined to Hall Court by the Chapel and ante-Chapel of 1780, thus forming Chapel Court also open to the street on the West. The exterior of all those buildings was completely altered into the Gothic taste by Sir Jeffrey Wyatville in 1821-33. Hall Court 1595-8. East Range with the Hall, the rest being three storeys, partly with attics. The West side is symmetrical with a two storey stone porch in the centre with three archways. Two and three-light windows with square heads. Turrets and battlements. The interior of the hall was refitted 1747-50 when a plaster ceiling was inserted, the original timber roof survives above it. The moulded panelling is also of 1750, as is the screen which is Roman Doric and of three unequal bays divided by pilasters. The staircase is also of this date. The Master's Lodge contains fittings of different periods, the Dining room has mid C18 fielded panelling and early C19 heraldic glass in the bay window. There is also more C18 panelling and a number of C19 marble fireplaces. The Taylor library has the original wallcases and fireplace of the Wyatville alterations in 1821-3. North Range Late C16, heightened and a modelled in 1831-2 by Wyatville, the cloister on the North wall was added by J L Pearson in 1890 (see Cloister Court). One, two and three light windows. Four-centred doorways. Embattled parapet and stepped gables. Stone oriel window of two lights on the West end. Internally, the Fellows' Palour has mid-C18 fielded panelling and plasterwork. There are several other panelled rooms, with some of circa 1600, some of C18. The staircases are early Cl9. South Range As above, late C16, remodelled 1831-2. Wyatville completely rebuilt the West end as a Gatehouse, ashlar, three storeys. Three archways with four-centred openings, ribbed vaulted ceiling in the Gatehall. Three-sided oriels on the first floor. Early C19 oak gate. The rest of the range is of three storeys and attics with an embattled and gabled parapet. The interior has few ancient features, one room of circa 1600 panelling and two with mid C18 fielded panelling. Chapel Court East Range. 1776 by James Essex, but entirely remodelled in the Gothic style by Wyatville in 1833 to match the rest. The Chapel was extended by T H Lyon in 1910-12. The front to the Court is symmetrical in seven bays, with the central three accentuated with pinnacles and the central one set slightly forward with a projecting porch; this bay is ashlar faced. The windows are of two transomed lights in four-centred openings. The Chapel fittings are entirely C20 except for a few monuments, and the fine altarpiece by G B Pittoni. All the Library woodwork is of 1776 and probably designed by James Essex. South Range, Sir Francis Clarke's Range. 1628, remodelled by Wyatville in 1833 and completely gutted in the restoration of 1970. (RCHM.)

Listing NGR: TL4498858679

Selected Sources

Inventory of the Historical Monuments in the City of Cambridge, (1959)

National Grid Reference: TL 44988 58679


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 10:38:57.

End of official listing