Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1106456

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Mar-1988



© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106456 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 16:57:18.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Burlescombe

National Grid Reference: ST 06682 17368


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


BURLESCOMBE ST 01 NE 5/1 Canonsleigh Barton Farmhouse - 5.4.66 (formerly listed as Canonsleigh Priory Farmhouse) GV II Farmhouse. Early C17, maybe associated with a datestone of 1628 (now set on nearby Canonsleigh House), refurbished and reroofed in late C18-early C19. Exposed local stone rubble stack and chimneyshaft; slate roof (formerly thatch). Plan: 4-room plan house facing east-north-east, say east. The largest rooms are those two in the centre and between them an axial stack serves back-to-back fireplaces. The central lobby entrance is onto the side of this stack. The room left of centre was the kitchen and the unheated left end room (now used as a separate cottage) was probably a service room, maybe including the dairy. The large room right of centre is the hall and the right end room was a parlour. It probably once had an end stack. The outshots across the rear maybe original. The hall has always been floored and the house is 2 storeys with attics in the roofspace. Exterior: balanced but not really symmetrical 4-window front of mostly C19 and C20 casements with glazing bars, but there is, ground floor right end, an original 3- light Beerstone window with hollow-chamfered mullions. Roughly central doorway with original oak doorframe with richly-moulded surround and one surviving urn stop. It contains a late C18 - early C19 door and there is a contemporary gabled porch with elliptical outer arch. An old West of England insurance plaque has been set in the gable. The main roof is gable ended. Interior: is largely the result of C19 and C20 modernisations but the original layout is preserved substantially intact and some original carpentry is exposed on the ground floor. The former parlour has a soffit-chamfered crossbeam with rounded step stops. The hall has a 4-bay ceiling of plain soffit-chamfered crossbeams and there is a large fireplace here with a soffit-chamfered and scroll-stopped curving oak lintel. It includes the remains of a large oven. No original carpentry shows on the first floor although the owners report finding curving timbers in one of the crosswalls. The late C18 - early C19 roof is made up of a series of tie-beam trusses with X-apexes. The collars may be secondary. This farmhouse appears to be a complete house although some people consider it a wing of a large house which once connected with nearby Canonsleigh House. There is a datestone of 1628 on the latter which would be a good date for this farmhouse. Source: Devon SMR

Listing NGR: ST0668617372


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95852

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing