PRIESTHALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1106504
Date first listed:
24-Oct-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
15-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
PRIESTHALL, PRIESTHILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRIESTHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 09:24:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
PRIESTHALL, PRIESTHILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Kentisbeare
National Grid Reference:
ST 06750 08146

Details

ST OO NE KENTISBEARE PRIESTHILL, Kentisbeare 8/109 Priesthall(formerly listed as - Old Priests Rouse) 24.10.51 II* Detached house; it was the medieval rectory but already divided into 5 cottages at the time the 1681 terrier was drawn up. Roughcast cob and rubble; some dressed sandstone; gable-end thatched roof. Plan: 3 room through-passage plan house, the service end to the right of the passage. Alcock and Laithwaite deduced that the original house was single-storeyed. The service end first floor is jettied into the hall; and the inserted hall first floor has been removed returning it to its original form. The small room above the passage now forms a gallery. The inner room, still of 2 storeys, is served by a rear newel stair. Service end heated by internal end stack, hall by front lateral external stone stack; inner room and chamber above served by external end stack. Exterior Front: Doorway to passage with ogee-headed wooden arch (a comparative rarity in Devon), the door itself with rails, spear-headed strap hinges, and studded. 4-light timber window to inner room, the light each with depressed head, and probably C15. 2-light casmement window to chamfer above. C20 3-light window to hall. Small diagonally-set window to service end. Rear: 2 first floor windows, one under eyebrow eave. Hall window is the original, C15, 4-lights each trefoil headed with top lights; a later 3-light casement has been fixed over the medieval window to afford it protection. Interior: those features noted by Alcock and Laithwaite survive and are discussed more fully in their article, cited below. (1) 3 plank and muntin screens, 2 to screens passage, the first between hall and inner room; (2) service end framed partition; (3) fireplaces; that to the hall with roll moulded surround; that to the service end with chamfered lintel; inner room fireplace with stone roll moulded surround, that to the chamber above with chamfered wooden lintel and chamfered stone jambs; (4) one jointed cruck truss at lower end of passage. References: N.W. Alcock and M. Laithwaite, 'Medieval Houses in Devon and their Modernisation', Medieval Archiaeology, 17, (1973), 112-14; W.A. Pantin, 'Medieval Priests' Houses in South-West England', Medieval Archaeology, 3 (1957), 127-9; E.S. Chalk, Kentisbeare and Blackborough, Devonshire Association Parachial histories, no. 3.

Listing NGR: ST0674908146

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
95764
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, , Vol. 3, (1957), 127-129
'Medieval Archaeology' in Medieval Archaeology, , Vol. 17, (1973), 112-114
Chalk, E S, 'Devonshire Association Parochial Histories' in Kentisbeare and Blackborough, , Vol. 3, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04951/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Sheila Haycox. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].