THE OLD GLEBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1106578
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
THE OLD GLEBE HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GLEBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106578 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 18:06:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD GLEBE HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Mid Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Eggesford
National Grid Reference:
SS 68245 10362

Details

EGGESFORD SS 61 SE 1/60 The Old Glebe House - - II House, formery rectory. Medieval origins, may include some C17 walling much- altered between 1782-7 for the Reverend John Churchill by the architect John Meadows, and extensively refurbished circa 1840;mid C19 extension. Plastered stone rubble; stone rubble stacks topped with C19 and C20 brick; coated slate roof. Irregular and unusual layout. House faces garden to south. Double depth plan with the 3 principal rooms on the front. The right room, the large reception or drawing room projects forward with canted sides. It has rear stack. Room behind is entrance hall and main stair with main entrance in rear of right (east) return wall. Smaller central room with axial stack and breakfast or dining room projecting a little forward at former left (west) end with end stack. These two have corridors, service stair and service rooms to rear. Late C19 service block extension with parallel roofs on same axis as main block on left end and carried round this end of rear. It is mostly 2 storeys and looks it but the slope on which it is built allows the original left end to be 3 storeys with attics and has cellar under central room. Main garden front of 3 uneven bays, with 4th on left end added in mid C19. Both main left room and centre room have late C19 glass-sided porch, the latter larger with canted sides. Above left room 16-pane sashes to first and second floors with attic casement in gable, and centre room has first floor 20-pane (8/12) sash and similar dormer casement. Canted bay to right has ground floor full height 24-pane sashes on all sides and first floor has 20-pane sashes. Bay also has flat stucco platband at first floor level which carried round right end return. Projecting eaves on pairs of shaped brackets. Main roof is hipped. Right end wall is blind apart from original porch towards rear, gable-ended with 12-pane sash in front side and 6-panelled door with panelled reveals, all fielded. Left end extension has C20 casements and sashes with glazing bars. The original part of rear elevation includes first floor 20-pane sashes but right (west) end has gabled late C19 extension containing 12-pane sashes in segmental arches. Interior includes much original joinery including the original geometric stair with open string, shaped stair brackets, stick balusters, mahogany handrail curtail step and scroll wreath. Most chimneypieces have been replaced. The owners research shows that the site is documented back to C13. Accounts exist for the renovation of the house between 1782-7 for the Reverend John Churchill by the architect John Meadows.

Listing NGR: SS6824510362

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
95531
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].