Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106602.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Mar-2021 at 23:16:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 68228 11480


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/08/2017

SS 61 SE 1/13

CHAWLEIGH Eggesford Station

(Formerly listed as Eggesford Junction Station)

II Railway station. Circa 1850, built for the London and South Western Railway; enlarged circa 1890. Probably by Sir William Tite. Local mudstone rubble laid to rough courses; Hatherleigh and Beerstone ashlar detail; stone stacks with one surviving stone chimney shaft, the other two of C20 brick; slate roof.

Double-fronted building, the northeast front onto the main Exeter-Barnstaple road and the southwest front onto the railway platform. From the railway side the plan comprises the waiting room and luggage/parcel store at the left (northwest) end. The waiting room has an end stack. In the centre is the ticket office under a higher roofline. To right of this a through passage separates the ticket office from the station-master's house, a two-room crosswing projecting slightly forward and rear and with an axial stack. A third room to the house was added circa 1890 to the house at the right (southeast) end on the axis of the main block and served by an end stack. The house and ticket office are two storeys, the luggage/parcel office and waiting room are single storey. Restrained Tudor Gothic style throughout. Both fronts have unified but deliberately asymetrical arrangements. All the roofs are gable-ended and all except the extension have shaped kneelers and coping enlivened by a single step. All the windows and doorways have chamfered ashlar reveals and soffit-moulded floating cornices over, including those of the extension. The north-east front onto the road has a 2:1:1:2-window front. Only the gable end of the house has a first floor window. Immediately to right of the house the entrance to the passage has a projecting gabled porch with its outer Tudor arch surmounted by an ashlar plaque bearing a bas-relief heraldic achievement. The southwest front onto the platform has a 1:1:1:2-window arrangement and both the waiting room and original part of the house have canted bay windows. The extension has a first floor gabled dormer and another over the ticket office was put there circa 1890. Most windows contain sashes; some are horned and most have glazing bars.

Interior: includes some plain Victorian joinery detail.

Source: R.A.Williams, The London and South-Western Railway, Vol.2 (1973). Plate 14 shows the station before the extension was built.

Listing NGR: SS6822811480


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Williams, R A, The London and South Western Railway, (1973)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2004
Reference: IOE01/11994/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Vickery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].