Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1106657

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1966



Ordnance survey map of THE OLD CHURCH HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106657 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 04:28:46.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Silverton

National Grid Reference: SS 95548 02891


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SILVERTON FORE STREET (west side), SS 90 SE Silverton 7/232 No.1 (The Old Church House) - 5.4.66 GV II House and shop, reputedly once the Church House. Late C16 with later alterations. Mostly cob, with some rubble, stone footings all roughcast, gable-end thatched roof forming a catslide of continuous rear outshut, the rear outbuildings, fronting Tiverton Road, mostly of the same materials, with some brick and breezeblock patching. Probably formerly a 3-room, through-passage plan house, with hall and parlour to the right of the now blocked passage, and an extension (added soon after the main building phase) to the upper end (circa 1600); lower end also rebuilt perhaps in early C19. 2 axial stacks with brick shafts, that to the left heating hall and backing onto former passage, that to the right heating parlour and probably originally an end stack. 2-storeys. Front: Irregular fenestration; six 2- and 3-light windows with C19 and C20 casements to first floor, lintels at eaves level, with (to the right) an oriel window, supported on shaped brackets, 1:4:1 lights, with ovolo-moulded mullions and surround, 5 or 10 leaded panes per light, with 1 original catch. 3- and 4-light casement windows to ground floor, that to the left possibly occupying position of former passage, with C20 shop window to the right of the present entrance. Rear: with two 2-light chamfered window frames, 1 with stanchions and 1 not in-situ, both to first floor. C19 outbuildings. Interior: right-hand room in circa 1600 extension with 2 axial beams, chamfered, 1 with pyramid stops; hall and parlour, now a single room, with deeply chamfered cross beams, with pyramid stops; left-hand room at lower end with 2 chamfered step-stopped beams. 4 jointed crucks, 3 to hall and parlour, 1 to the right hand room, apexes morticed and pegged, paired, trenched purlins, collars replaced; no evidence of smoke-blackening. The right hand chamber (with the oriel) retains its plaster ceiling, a single pattern, single-ribbed, central square with concave sides with lateral units each containing rampant lion; central floral design, with floral motifs at outer points. Reference: the house is discussed by Copeland in Trans. Devonshire Association, 93 (1961), 261-2.

Listing NGR: SS9554802891


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 95418

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, , Vol. 93, (1961), 261-262

End of official listing