CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1106680
Date first listed:
20-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106680.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 16:12:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Knowstone
National Grid Reference:
SS 82795 23076

Details

KNOWSTONE KNOWSTONE SS 82 SW 3/24 Church of St Peter - 20.2.67 GV II* Parish Church. The south doorway is said to be Norman, but the surviving fabric appears principally C15, the north aisle possibly early C16. The north aisle arcade was probably rebuilt and the church refenestrated in the C19. Random stone rubble, the west tower and north aisle rendered. Slate roofs with gable ends. Plan: west tower, nave, north aisle, chancel and south porch. Exterior: west tower of 2 stages witn diagonal buttresses, polygonal north-east stair-turret and embattled parapet. C19 2-light bell openings to each face. Perpendicular style west window of 3 lights and blocked pointed arched moulded west doorway. C19 3-light window to right of south porch with gabled slate roof with crested ridge tiles and shaped bargeboards. Unmoulded outer stone doorway and semi- circular arched dressed stone inner doorway with moulded imposts. Old studded plank door. C15 unceiled wagon-roof with moulded longitudinal members. Slate capped shallow rood stair projection to right. Chancel has Perpendicular straight-headed window of three 4-centred arched lights, and flat 4-centred arched priests doorway on south side. C19 Perpendicular style 3-light pointed arched windows to east end of chancel and north aisle, with lead rainwater head between dated 1750 and inscribed 'St Peters'. North aisle nas 4 C19 straight-headed windows of 3 lights with intermediate buttresses. Interior: continuous north arcade of 4 bays with semi-circular arches and square piers, described as 'modern' in early C19. Plastered barrel roof to nave and chancel, ceiled wagon-roof to south aisle with decorative carved bosses at the intersections. Tall tower arch with double ogee and hollow moulded surround. C18 communion rails formerly with alternating barley sugar and straight turned balusters, but some have been removed. C19 pulpit incorporates one open traceried panel of former screen. 2 windows, to south side of nave and to north aisle with stained glass by Drake. East window 1854. C19 tiled floors, raised and fielded panelled benches, and font. Painted Royal Arms dated 1724, P. Hynam, Warden, in north aisle. Several reset tone slabs, late C16 to early C18 at east end of north aisle. Wall monument, chancel south side, to John Culme (d. 1791) with figures resting on broken pediment, central achievement, Ionic colonettes and skull to base. Small wall tablet to Philip Shapcote (d. 1690), on north side, wall monument to Froude family, including Revd. John Froude (d. 1852).

Listing NGR: SS8279523076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
97375
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15593/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].