GUILD HALL (INCLUDING BOROUGH MUSEUM)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1106866
Date first listed:
20-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
GUILD HALL (INCLUDING BOROUGH MUSEUM), BROAD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GUILD HALL (INCLUDING BOROUGH MUSEUM)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 00:20:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
GUILD HALL (INCLUDING BOROUGH MUSEUM), BROAD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
South Molton
National Grid Reference:
SS 71429 25841

Details

SOUTH MOLTON BROAD STREET SS7025-7125 (south side) 5/5 Guild Hall (including - Borough Museum) 20.8.51 GV I

1743 and 1773. The materials for the earlier phase of building were purchased at the sale of features from Stowe, the demolished Charles II mansion in Cornwall in 1739 and the building therefore seems old fashioned for its date. 2 storeys stuccoed, the ground floor rusticated. Slate roof. Upper storey carried over pavement on 3 round-headed arches with keystones. First floor has 4 pilasters with Corinthian capitals. Pediment with Royal Arms. Balustraded parapet with urns. Wooden cupola with clock and weathervane. 2 cambered sashes with moulded architraves and keystone. Central niche with bust of Hugh Squier (AD 1625-1710) erected in 1910 with floral wreath below. The 1743 building contains the Court Room, the Constable's Room and the Mayor's Parlour. In 1773 a 2-storey wing in stone rubble was added at the rear to accommodate a large dining room for hospitality to visiting notables, with kitchen and other offices below. This wing is now known as the Old Assembly Room. The interior of the 1743 part contains a good early C18 staircase with twisted balusters and dado panelling. The Court Room on the first floor has a fine bracket cornice, panelling and fine floral and gilded moulding to the architraves. The original early C18 jury benches survive. (Kings Arms) made by William Puckridge of London in 1743. Pedimented doorcases with 8 fielded panelled doors. Tne Mayor's Parlour also has cornices, panelling and fireplace, most of the features having come from Stowe. The Old Assembly Room has a good late C18 plain marble fireplace and panelling.

Listing NGR: SS7142925841

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
96892
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/13706/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].