This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

List entry Number: 1106963

Location

THE OLD SCHOOL HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bickleigh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 96638

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 90 NW BICKLEIGH BICKLEIGH 5/17 The Old School House GV II School, converted to house. 1841 (datestone) with infants' schoolroom added later in the C19 to the rear ; building closed as a school in the 1960s and converted to a house. Volcanic trap rubble with stone dressings to the front elevation, brick dressings and quoins to the rear block ; slate roofs, gabled at ends ; end stacks with brick shafts. The school was established in 1841 as a National School and funded by subscription. At this date it probably consisted of a simple single-storey Tudor style schoolroom with a porch at the right and a washroom adjoining at the right end. The school-room was heated from a right end stack. At a later date a smaller, plainer single-storey infants' schoolroom was added at the rear left, the roof running parallel with the earlier schoolroom with brick quions and dressings to the windows. The addition was heated by a right end stack. The school acceded to the Grant List in 1869 and the addition may date from then, or may be later. The conversion to a house involved flooring the infants' schoolroom and partitioning the front block into 2 rooms. A C20 lean-to has been added at the right end and a further lean-to adjoins the 1841 block at the rear right. Alterations in progress at time of survey (1986) involve flooring the 1841 block. Front block single-storey at present, infants' school 2-storeys. Attractive asymmetrical 3:1 window front elevation with a gabled enclosed porch at the righ end with a chamfered 4-chamfered arched stone doorway below a plaque inscribed 'National School 1841'. Rectangular window on left return of porch. Tall, transomed 2-light stone window in the centre of the schoolroom with 4-centred arched lights, hollow- chamfered jambs and a hoodmould. To the left and right 2-light stone windows with 4- centred arched lights and hoodmoulds. Most of the glazing bars survive. The right hand jamb of the right hand window is partly concealed by the porch. To the right of the porch the single storey washroom has a rectangular window with C20 glazing. Paving of pitched stone in front of schoolroom. The right return of the 1841 schoolroom has an arched 2-light transomed timber window with a hoodmould. To the right of the window a 4-centred arched doorway has brick dressings ; small school bell on right gable end. Interior C19 roof trusses survive, tie beam king post and strut design. Both fireplaces blocked, possibly concealing features of interest. A stone plaque, high on the wall of the 1841 schoolroom records the subscribers in 1841 including 3 members of the Carew family. The school cost £245 to build. In 1850 Mary Hellier was the schoolmistress ; Ursula Bevin was the head teacher from 1869-1901. R. Sellman refers to a surviving log book. Sellman, R. R., Devon Village Schools in the Nineteenth Centry (1967) Whites' Devonshire (1850) Whites' Devonshire (1879)

Listing NGR: SS9420407159

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Sellman, R R , Devon Village Schools in the Nineteenth Century, (1967)
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1850)
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1879)

National Grid Reference: SS 94200 07193

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106963 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 09:38:15.

End of official listing