CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1106979

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1965

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETROCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1106979 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 13:45:06.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETROCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Clannaborough

National Grid Reference: SS 74709 02534

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CLANNABOROUGH SS 70 SW 2/51 Church of St Petrock 26.8.65

GV II*

Small parish church. Early medieval origins and plan, rebuilt in late C15-early C16; extensive renovation with new south porch 1858-9 paid for by Selina Ward- Wreford of Clannaborough Barton. Built of squared blocks of mudstone and volcanic stone laid to rough courses; original detail of granite, restoration detail of Bath stone and volcanic ashlar; slate roof with red ridge tiles. Nave with narrower and lower chancel, west tower and south porch. Mostly late Perpendicular. Unbuttressed west tower of 2 stages has hollow-chamfered plinth and embattled parapet with granite machicolations and crocketted corner pinnacles. Belfry has square-headed 2-light granite windows, each light with elliptical head. Their hoods comprise small granite cheeks descending from top drip mould. On north side newel stair turret projects square, has monopitch slate roof and tiny slit windows. On west side round-headed granite doorway with hollow-chamfered surround and volcanic ashlar hood mould. Above is a small square-headed 2-light granite window similar to belfry windows. On south side of tower is small elliptical-headed single light window to the ringing loft. On south side the plinth stops at the nave and the coursing is interrupted. Nave has soffit-chamfered volcanic stone corbel course. Near left end is the C19 south porch. It is gabled and 2-centred sandstone outer arch has chamfered surround. East side wall includes C18 and early C19 granite memorials to members of Wreford family. Right of porch is a granite 2-light square-headed window with restored volcanic stone cinquefoil heads. Another similar window in south side of chancel but this is a complete replacement of volcanic ashlar. East gable end of chancel has a C19 Bathstone replacement window, a 3-light Perpendicular style window with flat arched head and plain hood mould. North side of chancel is blind and north side of nave has 2 repaired granite 2-light square-headed windows like those on south side. Much-restored interior._ Porch has an open C19 wagon roof: it is bolted together, has chamfered ribs and includes a series of carved bosses, all with the same geometric pattern. South doorway is a partly-restored nearly round-headed granite arch with a double roll moulded surround. It contains a C19 plank door with ornate wrought ironwork. Inner arch of south door is tall with flat 4-centred arch head, and to right is remains of a granite stoup. Original volcanic stone high tower arch with plain responds, soffit-chamfered imposts and triple-chamfered arch ring. C19 beams carry ringing floor. Nave and chancel have C19 open wagon roofs with chamfered ribs, bosses carved with simple geometric motifs, and chamfered wall plate is enriched with variety of 4-leaf motifs some of which may be reused late C15-early C16 work. Roofs separated by C19 Bathstone chancel arch, a soffit- chamfered 4-centred arch on false corbels. Nave floor of patterns of coloured C19 tiles and includes some grave slabs, the oldest in memory of William Wreford, yeoman (died 1688), his wife Annis (died 1707) and son Roger (died 1720). Chancel floor has C19 encaustic tiles. East window flanked by C19 painted Commandment boards. C19 altar rail with twisted stem supports and repoussee ivy leaf brackets. C19 Gothic style choirstalls, lectern, pulpit and benches. Granite font maybe late C15 - early C16 but recut in C19 : it has moulded base, octagonal stem and octagonal bowl with faces containing sunken quatrefoil panels, alternate panels containing a flower motif. Notable mural memorials include marble monument to Grace Freke (died 1783) on north side of chancel, in which the rectangular plaque is surmounted by a bas-relief vase and apron has bas relief cherub; and a simple rectangular marble monument on north side of nave to Sophia Hughes and son George who drowned together in 1811. Church restoration commemorated in plaque over south door. Stained glass in east window (1863) and north window of nave (1867) by Hardman and Co. North Window of chancel in memory of Captain John Wreford, Julian Hardman of the First Royal dragoons who died in 1900 on active service in the Boer War contains a charming Art Nouveau representation of St Martin dividing his cloak. Church is not electrified and is lit by C19 oil lamps and brass candelabras. An unusually small parish church without aisles. Sources : Devon SMR and Devon C19 Church Project.

Listing NGR: SS7470902534

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 96564

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing