Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107017.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Mar-2021 at 10:38:42.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Mid Devon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 72744 00664


BOW NYMET TRACEY SS 70 SW 2/35 Church of St Bartholomew 26.8.65


Parish Church. Norman-Transitional origins; nave rebuilt in late C14 with new west tower; C15 north aisle and south porch; chancel completely rebuilt and general renovation in 1889-90 by R M Fulford with carpentry and joinery by Harry Hems. Roughcast tower with granite coping. Original volcanic stone detail and restoration detail of Beerstone and Hatherleigh stone; nave of volcanic stone and local mudstone rubble with volcanic stone and restoration Hatherleigh stone detail; north aisle of coursed red conglomerate stone with granite dressings and volcanic stone detail, restored with Hatherleigh stone; chancel of neatly snecked Hatherleigh stone with details of same stone. Slate roofs with red crested ridge tiles. Nave and narrower and lower chancel, west tower and south porch. Various Gothic styles. Unbuttressed west tower with embattled parapet. Stair turret projects square from north side and rises above tower parapet with embattled parapet and is surmounted by a C19 wrought iron weather vane. On each side are Beerstone 2 light belfry windows with cinquefoil-headed lights, probably restored. The west side has moulded surround and hood, containing a C19 plank door with unusual, somewhat fish-shaped, strap hinges. Above the door is a decorated 2-light arch-headed window in which the jambs, mullion and hood are restored but the tracery is original. The south side of the tower has a small original round-headed window to the ringing floor set below the drip course. The nave projects a little on the south side from the tower. Either side of the porch is an arch-headed 2-light decorated window similar to that in the tower; the left is largely original and the right is a complete replacement. At right (east) end is a Transitional style window comprising a pair of lancet lights. It is almost a complete rebuild but incorporates 3 pieces of weathered volcanic stone (2 in the head) from the original. The C15 south porch is gabled with volcanic kneelers and granite coping and contains a plain round-headed outer arch below a presumably C19 nowy-headed slate sundial with brass arm. The gable apexes of the porch, nave, aisle and chancel have C19 fleuree crosses. The C19 chancel has a blind full height pointed arch for a vestry which was never built and to the right (east) a 3-light Decorated-style window immediately above a moulded drip course. The east end of chancel is flanked by diagonal buttresses and that to left (south-east) includes a foundation stone dated 1889. The east window is a large arch-headed 3-light Decorated-style window, a larger version of that on south side The drip course rises in the centre to the sill of the window and there is another above the window with a ventilator over. Gable has shaped kneelers and coping. The east end of the north aisle has original granite kneelers and coping but the 3-light Perpendicular window is a C19 Hatherleigh stone replacement. North side is a 3-window front with flanking diagonal and intermediate buttresses. The central window is a Decorated- style 3-light replacement with original granite sill and almost round-arched hoodmould. It is flanked by Perpendicular windows, a completely C19 3-light replacement to the left and a little-restored volcanic stone 2-light original to the right. The west end contains a C19 3-light Decorated-style window although the sill, moulded jambs and almost round-headed hood are original granite. Good interior: south porch has C15 open 2-bay wagon roof with moulded ribs and wall plate and simple bosses. Stone floor. The C15 south doorway of volcanic stone and sandstone ashlar is an almost round-headed arch with chamfered surround and pyramid stops. It contains a C19 plank door on wrought iron strap hinges with repousee enrichment. Above it the remains of a round-headed hood thought to be Norman or Transitional and above that is set a sandstone corbel carved as a knight's head, also Norman in character. C14 tall tower arch of volcanic stone with chamfered surround. C14 chancel arch of granite is almost round-headed and has a double hollow-chamfered arch ring and semi-octagonal responds with plain soffit-moulded imposts. 5-bay granite arcade, the fifth overlapping the chancel with moulded piers (Pevsner's Cornish Type A) and plain moulded caps and bases to shafts only. This C15 arcade is not fully joined to the respond column of the chancel arch. Both nave and aisle have C15 open wagon roofs but they are not identical. Nave has an 8-bay roof similar to that in the south porch. It has moulded ibs and wall plate, mostly original foliate bosses, and the unusual feature of carrying the main trusses through the wall plate and rounding off the bottoms to give the impression of corbels. The 11-bay open wagon roof of the aisle is of higher quality with moulded ribs and a continuous wall plate which is carved as a fruiting vine and has a crenellated top. The original wall plate survives only on the north side. Chancel roof of 1899 by Hems is a boarded wagon roof of 4 bays with a moulded wall plate enriched with carved fernleaf and crenellated top, cusped diagonal braces and carved bosses. The blind arch to the never-built vestry has a double-chamfered arch ring. The nave and aisle window embrasures have exposed masonry reveals but only few have original hollow chamfered inner arches which die into the jambs. The tower has the C14 volcanic 2-centred arch to the stair turret and it contains a medieval studded plank door. The north wall of the aisle includes a pair of volcanic stone soffit-moulded image brackets which may well have been reset in the C19. Chancel has a Gothic-style carved oak reredos of 1889 with contemporary credence to right. C18 oak altar rail on alternate turned and twisted baluster supports; surely too late in style to be those paid for in 1680 and recorded in the churchwarden's account. C19 Gothic-style oak choir stalls. The C19 chancel floor includes patterns of encaustic tiles. Good, little-restored C15 Perpendicular oak rood screen of 5 bays with central doorway. The wainscotting has applied cusped and ogee-headed tracery with quatrefoils in circles at the bottom, this is missing to right of doorway. The square-headed 4-light windows have Perpendicular tracery on slender mullions and the head has a delicately-carved band of flowing vines. The north aisle screen, probably slightly later, is of 4½ bays. It is basically similar but the wainscotting has linenfold panelling, the window tracery is less elaborate and the cornice of fruiting vine is of higher quality craftsmanship. Neither door survives. The whole screen is brightly painted with gloss paint in 1984, the design said to be based on traces of the C16 decorative scheme. The unpainted rear is plain and unembellished. C15 Perpendicular oak parclose is a light and simpler version of the north aisle screen, and is much-restored. Nave and aisle have C19 parquet and the floor and fielded panel oak wainscotting made up from C18 pews. C18 oak pulpit with fielded panel sides and panelled pilasters to octagonal drum. C19 brass lecturn. C19 oak benches. C14 Decorated Beerstone font although carving probably recut in C19; circular plinth, octagonal stem with cinque foil-headed arcade and octagonal bowl, the rim decorated with small, shallow rectangular pellets with inscribed crosses between and the edges with cusped quatrefoils in panels above cusped canopy of carved acorns. Aisle has C17 oak chest with panelled sides, probably the one bought in 1634 according tot he churchwarden's accounts. 2 simple marble mural plaques, one in memory of William Packer (d.1856) in nave, and another in memory of Samuel Wreford (d.1859) and his family in the aisle. Ring of 4 C18 bells, one by Penningtons of Exeter (1765), the others by Bibbies of Cullompton (all 1754). 3 Beare and Driffield stained glass windows; west end of north aisle in memory of John Kelland (d.1868), east end of north aisle in memory of James Lee Sanders (d.1874) and west end of nave in memory of Robert Kelland (d.1862); the last two are signed R M Driffield. Local tradition claims that church built by Sir William de Tracey as an act of penance for his part in murder of Thomas-a-Becket and that the stone head outside the south door is his likeness. Sources: Devon SMR and Devon C19 Church Project.

Listing NGR: SS7274600662


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Dec 2005
Reference: IOE01/14885/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Hedley R. Hooper. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].