This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN

List entry Number: 1107048

Location

CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Mid Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shobrooke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 26-Aug-1965

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 96420

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SHOBROOKE CHURCH LANE SS 80 SE 2/68 Church of St Swithin - 26.8.65 GV II * Parish church. Anglo-Saxon/Norman origins; rebuilt with north aisle in C15; restored circa 1840; and thoroughly restored again in 1879 by Edward Ashworth with new roofs, window tracery, furnishings and fittings, and south aisle added with sacristy and porch. Volcanic rubble walls (laid to courses in 1879) with volcanic ashlar dressings, Beerstone details; slate roofs with crested ridgetiles. Perpendicular style including most of restoration work. Nave and chancel tie between north aisle with east chapel and south aisle with sacristy under separate roofs; south porch and west tower. Most external detail restored in C19 although size disposition of C15 windows, doorways and buttresses are mostly preserved. All gables rebuilt with kneelers, coping and stone crosses at each apex. High west tower of two stages, off-set buttresses, embattled parapet and 5-sided stair turret to north projecting above tower with embattle parapet. 2-light Beerstone belfry windows with tracery and louvres, apparently unrestored, although the upper stage may have been heightened. South aisle of 1879 has a 3-light window each side of gabled porch with moulded archway and the hood-mould label-stops carved as medieval royal heads. Small arched door and 2-light window to sacristy further east and large end buttress surmounted by Beerstone chimney. East window of south aisle has unusual Perpendicular-style tracery and C19 east window to chancel of Decorated style : both have hood moulds with label-stops carved as medieval heads. Changes of masonry show that roofs of cancel and north aisle raised in C19. North aisle of 5 bays with diagonal buttresses each end, 4 Perpendicular windows with C19 tracery and an unrestored arched door left of centre. South door in 1879 using volcanic stone. Romanesque arch of half-engaged shafts with bases and cushion capitals under double chevron ornament; the plain round arch surmounted by a contemporary carved head. Interior: High C15 tower arch has beerstone lining of palmed and carved recessed panels with cinquefoil heads. Volcanic stone doorhead to tower stair and carved round arch (possibly reused Anglo-Saxon-Norman work). Belfry floor of late C16 - early C14 moulded beams. Main body of church is largely result of C19 modernisations. 4 bay beerstone arcades between nave and chancel and aisles. C15th north arcade on moulded shafts with foliate capitals (Pevsners Type B) but foliage recut circa 1840: Original carving survives only one east-end respond. South arcade is a matching copy of 1879. Nave, chancel and north aisle have good C19th wagon roofs. The break between nave and chancel marked by arch- braced truss resting on stone corbels carved as angels with cheaters. South aisle roof of 1879 - cusped principals, king-posts on crenellated tie-beams with central pendants. Apart from two C17 oak pews, all fittings are of 1879. Sandstone reredos from Hems workshop, Exeter. Minton floor tiles to chancel. Dwarf chancel screen of iron grille-work decorated with quatrefoils and fleur de lys. Brass lectern of similar style. Front pews apparently incorporate C15 carved oak panels. Good late Victorian and Edwardian glass. Two Heaton, Butter and Bayne, stained glass windows in couter windows of north aisle. In south aisle to left of door Dixon and Vesey window of 1881 features St Cecilia and angle, musicians and window to right of door features three art nouveau panels depicting wheat ears, lilies and grapes. Ref. M. Harrison Victorian Stained Glass 1980 (plate 62). Devon C19 Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SS8629201106

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Harrison, M , Victorian Stained Glass, (1980)

National Grid Reference: SS 86292 01106

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107048 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2017 at 03:40:18.

End of official listing