VELATOR BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107101

Date first listed: 14-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: VELATOR BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of VELATOR BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107101 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:15:02.

Location

Statutory Address: VELATOR BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Braunton

National Grid Reference: SS 48557 35718

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 43 NE BRAUNTON VELATOR

7/64 Velator Bridge -

- II

Road bridge over River Caen. Probably circa 1815 and probably by James Green, the County Surveyor. Shale rubble. Single span wide segmental arch with dressed shale voussoirs. Parapets have vertically coursed shale capping. Velator Bridge was probably built in association with the reclamation of Braunton Marsh. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw, but from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained after authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south east was reclaimed between 1852-1857. Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field their holdings are still widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers. Reference : A H Slee Trans.Devonshire Assoc. (1969) Vol.100, pp.101-110. W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies pp.265-271 and p.332.

Listing NGR: SS4855735718

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 98362

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hoskins, W G, Finberg, H P R , Devonshire Studies, (1952), 265,332
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, (1969)

End of official listing