STILE AND FLANKING WALLS 400 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF THE GREAT SLUICE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107120
Date first listed:
14-Nov-1985
Statutory Address:
STILE AND FLANKING WALLS 400 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF THE GREAT SLUICE, BRAUNTON MARSH

Map

Ordnance survey map of STILE AND FLANKING WALLS 400 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF THE GREAT SLUICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107120 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2019 at 01:26:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
STILE AND FLANKING WALLS 400 METRES SOUTH-WEST OF THE GREAT SLUICE, BRAUNTON MARSH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
Braunton
National Grid Reference:
SS4741433959

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/07/2015

SS 43 SE 9/54

BRAUNTON, BRAUNTON MARSH, Stile and flanking walls 400 metres south-west of the Great Sluice

(Formerly listed as Stile and flanking walls 40 metres south-west of the Great Sluice)

II

Stile and flanking walls. Circa 1815. Shale rubble walls with vertical stone capping, sloping down either side of dyke. Opening at top with large slate on edge to form stile between brick piers with rounded stone rubble tops. Stone step below stile repaired in concrete. The flanking walls fenced sections of the dyke and allowed the sections to be grazed separately. Braunton Marsh was probably reclaimed in the Middle Ages from tidal waters of the River Taw. But from 1811-15 the marsh was more extensively drained on the authorization by Act of Parliament (1811) as a result of the endeavours of the Lords of the Manors of Braunton Gorges, Braunton Abbotts, Braunton Arundel and Saunton and others who had grazing rights on the marshes. They sought to enclose Braunton Marsh which was regularly flooded by tidal water. 949 acres were reclaimed. John Pascoe was the surveyor and James Green (County Surveyor) the engineer. The adjacent Horsey Island to the south-east was reclaimed between 1852-1857. Historically these late enclosures are particularly interesting in Braunton where the Great Field immediately north of the Marsh is one of only 3 open field systems to survive in England. Although today (1984) there are only 5 farmers on the Great Field, their holdings are sill widely dispersed over the field as they were in the Middle Ages when there were about 100 farmers.

Reference: A H Slee, Trans. Devonshire Assoc (1969) Vol100, pp.101-110. W G Hoskins and H P R Finberg, Devonshire Studies, pp.265-271 and p.332.

Listing NGR: SS4741433959

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
98302
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Transactions of the Devonshire Association' in Transactions of the Devonshire Association, (1969), 101-110

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00126/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Mellor. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].