WHITEFIELD BARTON AND BANK BARN ADJOINING WEST CROSS WING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107129

Date first listed: 25-Feb-1965

Statutory Address: WHITEFIELD BARTON AND BANK BARN ADJOINING WEST CROSS WING

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITEFIELD BARTON AND BANK BARN ADJOINING WEST CROSS WING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107129 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 17:04:25.

Location

Statutory Address: WHITEFIELD BARTON AND BANK BARN ADJOINING WEST CROSS WING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Marwood

National Grid Reference: SS 55752 39341

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 53 NE MARWOOD WHITEFIELD

5/49 Whitefield Barton and bank barn 25.2.65 adjoining west cross wing - GV II

Large farmhouse and attached bank barn. House built 1771, rubble stone with dressed quoins and slate roof. 2 axial brick stacks, with modern pots. 2 storeys. Symmetrical plan with gabled slightly projecting cross wings at each end in 1-3-1 arrangement of bays. Blocked 'attic' lunette with brick arches above brick band spanning each gable. Left side projection has 4-light cavetto-moulded sandstone mullion window with roll-moulded architrave and thin tiled hood. Similar window above but with splayed mullions. 2 panes per light, iron casement in lower pane. The right-hand projection is now used as loose boxes. The facade openings being blocked but mullions still in situ internally. Between are 3 bays of 4-light stone windows 2 panes per light, with reused splayed mullions above with inserted stonework to enlarge the openings. 2 similar windows with cavetto-moulded mullions and square-cut architraves to each side of 4-panelled door with C20 slated canopy. Above porch is cartouche with armorial bearings and inscription "This house was built by George Ley Esq 1771". Over window to left of porch is shield with initials IG and HG over and 1638 below. To right side is shield initialled HP and dated 1790. Right-hand gable end has 2 blocked openings with cambered brick heads to each side of blocked Venetian window opening above 2 small square openings to each side of central door with corrugated asbestos canopy. Bank barn extending to rear as continuation of left hand projection. Stone with slate roof. Lean-to wash-house in angle of east front of barn with 2 square-headed doorways with timber lintels to right and large double winnowing door over. No outstanding features remain in the farmhouse. The 1638 datestone suggests the 3 central bays are C17 with wings and mullion windows to match of 1771.

Listing NGR: SS5575239341

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 98222

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing