BROOMHOUSE BROOMHOUSE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1107234
Date first listed:
18-Oct-1988
Statutory Address:
BROOMHOUSE
Statutory Address:
BROOMHOUSE FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROOMHOUSE
BROOMHOUSE FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 13:50:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
BROOMHOUSE
Statutory Address:
BROOMHOUSE FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
North Devon (District Authority)
Parish:
George Nympton
National Grid Reference:
SS 70424 23386

Details

SS 72 SW GEORGE NYMPTON

5/62 Broomhouse and Broomhouse Farmhouse

II

House divided into 2. Late medieval origins, remodelled in the C17 and again in the circa early/mid C19 when it was also extended at the west end. Whitewashed and plastered, probably cob on stone rubble footings, stone rubble outshut; roof thatched to the front of the ridge, slated to the rear; end stacks and rear lateral stack (all with handmade brick shafts) to Broomhouse, end stack to Broomhouse Farmhouse, 2 stacks to the outshut, projecting through the roof. Plan: The present arrangement is a south-facing range, 5 rooms wide, with a 2-storey rear outshut extending the full length of the range. The early core is the right hand (east) part of the range (Broomhouse). This originated as a late medieval open hall house of which one smoke-stained roof truss survives, the apex about 2 metres below the present ridge. The house is likely to have been floored in the C17 but very little evidence from this period remains: the position of the 3 right hand stacks suggest a 3 room plan house in the C17, (lower end to the right), the present entrance to Broomhouse may be on the site of the original C17 entrance: it faces a straight run stair with circa mid C17 newel posts. The roof structure over the 3 right hand rooms is very late C17 or C18. The house was presumably raised at this date and the height of the first floor may have been raised as well, as there is no exposed C17 carpentry to the ground floor ceilings. Some C18 panelling upstairs and a china cupboard in the centre ground floor room indicate refurbishment at this date: this was followed by an early C19 remodelling retaining the old ground plan but giving a garden front with French windows and a verandah. It is difficult to date the service outshut but it may also be early C19, although perhaps incorporating an earlier outshut to the left hand (west) property. Broomhouse Farmhouse is more difficult to interpret: it may have originated as a late C17 or C18 addition to Broomhouse, the extreme left hand (west end) room is said to be a C19 extension. The outshut is cut back into the slope of the land with steps down to an alleyway to the rear doors, the alleyway protected by C19 iron railings. An underground cellar extends north from the rear of Broomhouse, under the lane to the farm to the east. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 2:6 window front: Broomhouse, to the left, symmetrical with a central thatched porch with a half-glazed C19 or early C20 front door. 3-light casements, probably C20, with glazing bars. The south elevation of Broomhouse to the right, has a 9-bay verandah, probaby a C20 reconstruction of a C19 verandah, retaining C19 pitched stone flooring, and a C20 front door to right of centre flanked by 2-light small-pane C19 casements. To the left, 2 early C19 French windows with glazing bars, one similar window to the right. 2- and 3-light small- pane C20 casements to the first floor, C20 copies of C19 windows. The rear elevation retains a set of first floor 4 over 8 pane C19 sashes to the outshut, C19 railings above the rear alleyway and a good late C19 gate to the garden at the east end of the range. At the west end of the range the rear wall is canted inwards. Interior: Broomhouse Farmhouse is modernized, retaining a large, probably C19 open fireplace at the left (west) end. Broomhouse retains C17 bobbin turned newel posts at the top of the straight run stair; a very pretty C18 china cupboard in the centre room has shaped shelves and a shell hood; C18 fielded panelling to the window embrasure on first floor right. The 2 left hand ground floor rooms have C19 plaster cornices and a mid C19 chimney-piece on the first floor is complete with iron grate. Roof: The apex of one smoke-stained medieval truss is visible in the roofspace to left of the centre of Broomhouse. The principal rafters are mortised at the apex and the ridge, which is missing was diagonally-set. The other trusses over Broomhouse are collar rafter, the collars butted on to the principals which are pegged at the apex. The date is probably late C17 or C18. One of the trusses may be fixed on to the foot of a second medieval truss as a curved foot is visible below the ceiling, plastered-over. The outshut roof is probably early C19. Roof over Broomhouse not inspected. The cellar below the lane north of Broomhouse has a slate floor and water runnel; it consists of one cell and a narrow winding tunnel, open at both ends. An unsually large traditional house, evidently of gentry quality by the mid C19. White's Devon (1850) describes it as the "pleasant seat" of J.G. Pearse Esq., solicitor, who owned an estate in the parish and in 1879 it was lived in by George Bush, described as a civil engineer, a tenant of the Rev. J.G. Pearce, White's Devon (1879).

Listing NGR: SS7042423386

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
97592
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1879)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Jan 2003
Reference: IOE01/09563/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin Downes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].