THE CHURCH ROOM INCLUDING LETTERBOX IN SOUTH WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107244

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: THE CHURCH ROOM INCLUDING LETTERBOX IN SOUTH WALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CHURCH ROOM INCLUDING LETTERBOX IN SOUTH WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 13:29:39.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CHURCH ROOM INCLUDING LETTERBOX IN SOUTH WALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Mariansleigh

National Grid Reference: SS7440622085

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 72 SW 5/89

MARIANSLEIGH The Church Room including letterbox in south wall GV II

Schoolhouse, now in use as the parish hall. Probably 1840s, built before 1850, (Whites Devon (1850)), converted to a Sunday School by 1839 (White's Devon (1879). Colourwashed and rendered, probably cob on stone rubble footings; corrugated asbestos roof, (formerly thatched), gabled at ends; left end stack with brick shaft. Gothick style in vernacular materials. Plan: Extremely small, rectangular on plan with the entrance on the south side. A lean-to at the left (west) end formerly housed the village pump. Exterior: Single-storey. The south elevation has one Gothick window to the left with a 2-centred arch, Gothick glazing bars and some panels of circa mid C19 ecclesiastical stained glass, possibly originating in the parish church which was severely damaged by fire in 1932. To the right there is a C20 plank door with a Gothick fanlight with curved glazing bars. A Victorian letter box is in the wall to the left of the door: this was the subject of a letter to the Times in the 1930s when the Reverend W.V. Tatham complained that it was too small to accommodate the village post (Tull). Interior: Not inspected. The school was probably converted to a Sunday School in 1876 when a large school was built at Oxham following the compulsory Education Act. An unusual survival of a very small schoolroom pre-dating the 1870 Education Act.

Listing NGR: SS7440622085

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 97619

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1879)
'Whites Directory' in History Gazetteer and Directory of Devonshire, (1850)

End of official listing