This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WHITECHAPEL MANOR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WHITECHAPEL MANOR

List entry Number: 1107264

Location

WHITECHAPEL MANOR

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bishop's Nympton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 97563

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 72 NE BISHOP'S NYMPTON

2/33 Whitechapel Manor

9.6.52 GV I

Former manor house, in process of conversion to an hotel at time of survey (1987). The core appears to be late C16/early C17 although earlier fabric may survive (there has been a house on the site since the C12). The house was refurbished circa 1700 the use of brick in the east wing could also be of this date. The roof structure indicates substantial late C19 repair. Rendered externally, probably stone, the first floor of the east wing brick; slate roof, hipped at ends; rear lateral stack, right end stack and 3 axial stacks to the main range, lateral stacks to each wing, one on each outer return wall. Plan: E plan, a south-facing main range with a central 2-storey porch and west and east crosswings, the centre of the range with a 2-storey rear outshut containing service rooms on the ground floor with 2 stair cells. The porch leads into a cross passage with the principal stair to the rear, a screen to the right of the entrance divides the large hall, heated by the rear lateral stack, from the passage. Principal parlour in the east wing with a small parlour to the left of the cross passage with an axial passage behind it, parallel to the rear wall of the main range. This axial passage connects the main entrance to a large room within the main range which may have been the C17 kitchen. The west crosswing is heated by a probably C19 stack and appears to have been an unheated service wing before this date. A C17 dogleg stair survives to the rear of the west wing. The first floor consists of a series of notable chambers fitted out in circa 1700. The very fine circa 1700 refurbishment appears to have been carried out within the basic plan form of the late C16/early C17 house variations in the panelling suggesting a major programme of work between circa 1690-1730. The outshut, judging from the survival of some leaded light windows, is probably a late C17 remodelling and extension of 2 earlier stair projections. Exterior: Well-preserved and very attractive with C19 small-pane 4-light timber casements throughout, some within C16 or C17 moulded frames. 2 storeys. Symmetrical south front, the crosswings hipped to the front, the 2-storey porch in the centre with a hipped roof, 2 bays to the left and 2 to the right of the porch, one bay to the end of each crosswing. Plain segmental arched outer doorway to the porch below a 4-light casement with a C17 frame and ovolo-moulded mullions, the first floor window to the left of the porch has a similar C17 frame and mullions. The east crosswing seems to have been partially rebuilt, the first floor constructed out of bricks and the upper part of the projecting stack on the east wall also brick. There is a change in plane and a buttress to the wall to the north of the stack but it seems likely that the wing was always 2 storeys as a 4-light first floor late C16/early C17 king mullioned window survives with a moulded frame and mullions and lights with square leaded panes. The west wall of the west wing has a probably C19 lateral stack, 2 C20 doors and scattered fenestration of 1 and 2-light windows, mostly with C20 glazing. The rear elevation (the outshut) has 4 first floor ovolo-moulded C17 3- light windows with square leaded panes and 4 ground floor probably C18 casements with square leaded panes. A C19 stair window with brick blocking below the sill lights the main stair, the north-west stair window is circa late C17 with a high transom and ovolo-moulded jamb with bar scroll stops to the inner face. Evidence of rebuilding and repair on the rear elevation includes the masonry of the north-east corner of the outshut and courses of brick below the eaves. Interior: Outstanding for the quality and quantity of circa early C18 panelling and for numerous other features of interest. The hall is a splendid room, the chimney- piece with an eared, bolection moulded architrave rising in the centre, the mantel shelf breaking forward over the centre. The plaster ceiling is probably of the same date, but possibly an adaptation of an earlier ceiling, 8 panels of richly moulded intersecting beams, the 2 right hand panels slightly narrower, with a moulded cornice. Plaster ceiling roses applied to the centre of each panel are, presumably, C18. The wall panelling is probably early C18, the panels recessed bead and probably designed for picture-hanging. Moulded rectangles, probably contemporary with 4 early C18 6-panel doors (one false) with some original hinges and swan-necked pediments as overdoors. The doors are paired; 2 on the right end wall of the hall; 2 opposite one another, on the north and south walls at the left end of the room. The south door is false, the north door leads to the stair cell which contains a C20 stair presumably replacing a grand dog-leg stair which was originally accessible from the rear of the passage. A fine 5-bay screen, earlier in date than any of the other features in the hall, divides the hall from the passge. Reeded pilasters divide the bays with a strapwork frieze and moulded cornice above, the frieze punctuated with carved consoles. The second and fourth bays are 6-panel doors with butterfly hinges in doorframes with depressed segmental arches and carved spandrels on the passage side. The other bays are divided into panels on the hall side by richly-carved muntins and rails with round-head carved arcading in the upper panels. On the passage side the panelling is recessed behind chamfered studs and rails with a row of timber hat pegs. The 6-pane rear door of the passage, formerly leading to the main stair, has a richly-moulded doorframe with bar scroll stops and a cornice. The principal parlour in the east wing is also a very fine room, panelled throughout (the panelling unpainted) with a decorated plaster ceiling and good chimney-piece, the fittings probably early C18, the panels raised, the timber chimney-piece also panelled, 2 matching 6-panel doors in the north wall with panelled overdoors, the plaster ceiling (re-suspended in the last 3 years) with a big central quatrefoil, the ribs of the outer motifs with a guilloche moulding. The small parlour, to the left of the cross passage is also panelled throughout, the door from the axial passage 6- panel on the passage side, 8-panel facing the room with HL hinges. The bolection- moulded timber chimney-piece incorporates an integral painting an canvas, the iconography derived from Numbers XIII, V. 23, illustrating the fruitfulness of the promised land. An integral painting on canvas over the door appears to show the goddess, Diana. The left hand (west) room in the main range, which may have been the C17 kitchen, has a rough exposed crossbeam and a massive open fireplace with a timber bolection-moulded chimneypiece concealing an iron lintel. The front room of the west crosswing is very plain with a possibly C19 fireplace with a segmental arched lintel. Although the main stair has been replaced, 2 early stairs survive: a dog-leg stair with landing at the east end of the house with probably early C18 dado panelling with a ramped cornice. A second dog-leg stair with a landing rises within the outshut to the rear of the west wing. The balustrade is C19 or later but 4 massive circa late C17 cylindrical oak newels survive, slightly tapering at the top, the stair lit by a C17 window already described. The first floor retains a set of very fine circa 1700 panelled rooms including original chimney-pieces and doors, 3 of the rooms with integral overmantel paintings. The principal room in the west wing has a painting depicting a woman with children holding musical instruments with a C17 formal garden in the background. The same room has a C17 cupboard recess and a panelled ante room. The 2 principal rooms in the main range and east wing have Italianate overmantel landscape paintings and other smaller chambers are also well-preserved. Roof: Largely C19 construction with king post and strut roofs of a conventional C19 character, including some iron girders. There are some earlier re-used timbers including evidence of former lap-dovetailed joints. Information in the possession of the present owner includes a list of owners beginning with the Peverell family in 1162, followed by the Basset family 1240-1603. The manor was called Blaunchechapele in 1281, documentation relating to Whitechapel has been deposited with the D.R.O., Accession no. 3777. An outstanding house with a remarkably well-preserved interior.

Listing NGR: SS7509227282

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SS 75092 27282

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107264 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2017 at 11:17:57.

End of official listing