SHARON METHODIST CHAPEL AT THORNHAM CHAPEL CROSS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1107327

Date first listed: 03-Oct-1975

Statutory Address: SHARON METHODIST CHAPEL AT THORNHAM CHAPEL CROSS

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHARON METHODIST CHAPEL AT THORNHAM CHAPEL CROSS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107327 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 18:35:59.

Location

Statutory Address: SHARON METHODIST CHAPEL AT THORNHAM CHAPEL CROSS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: East Worlington

National Grid Reference: SS 77714 14901

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EAST WORLINGTON SS 71 SE 8/6 Sharon Methodist Chapel at Thornham 3.10.75 Chapel Cross - II Methodist chapel and adjoining schoolroom. Built 1849, 1908 addition. Random rubble to early part, bitumen-treated to the west gable face, later part of coursed rubble blocks of irregular size, brick dressings at the corners, gabled slate roofs with crested clay ridges, brick stack to the east, cast-iron gutters and downpipes; weatherboarded timber-framed shed attached to the west, painted corrugated-iron sheeting roof. Plan: the chapel to the left is rectangular on plan with a blocked central entrance on the front. In 1908 a schoolroom was added set back on the right hand end with a front doorway to the left of the front. Set back again to the right an outshut with a leanto in the angle at the front. In the C20 a weatherboarded shed was added to the left side of the chapel. The chapel and schoolroom are in late Gothick style. Exterior: main elevation facing onto the roadside of a single-storey, 2-window chapel, single bay schoolroom set at back to right, multi-paned casements in pointed-arch openings, brick dressings, renewed concrete cills, head of each window with intersecting Gothick glazing. Door opening to centre between the 2 halves. brick dressings, plank door in wooden frame with painted graining. Outshut to right with a 3-light casement with horizontal glazing bars, 2 door openings with plank doors. Interior: was refitted in the mid C19, including pews, pulpit, dado panelling, a chimneypiece to the schoolroom and further joinery. Attached run of wrought-iron railings to frontage encloses small graveyard, simple style with hooped tops. 2 gateways with iron finials in conforming style. In an isolated though prominant roadwide position. Source: C Stell, RCHM unpublished, Non-Conformist Chapels.

Listing NGR: SS7771414901

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 97411

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

End of official listing