CASTLE HILL HOUSE
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Date of most recent amendment:
- Statutory Address:
- CASTLE HILL HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1107537 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 02:14:25.
- Statutory Address:
- CASTLE HILL HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 67110 28455
FILLEIGH CASTLE HILL
SS 62 NE
5/31 Castle Hill House
20.2.67 (Formerly listed as Castle Hill)
Country house situated in landscaped park. Dated rebuilding of late Tudor house in
1684, considerably enlarged and remodelled c.1730 by Roger Morris. Extended in 1841 and
1862 reputedly by Edward Blore. A disastrous fire in 1934 almost entirely gutted the
interior of the main range which was subsequently reconstructed with some
alterations to the plan architect, Duke of Wellington. Ashlar joint-lined stucco on stone
rubble with ashlar dressings. Slate roof, hipped to projecting wings of main range and flanking
wings. Rebuilt rendered stacks to centre range. Ridge stacks to flanking wings with recessed
panalled sides and moulded caps.
The 1684 central block is basically rectangular but breaks forward at each end at
the front and the back forming a shallow H-shape plan. In circa 1730 it was
remodelled and flanking wings were added, set back, and terminating in square
pavilions in the Palladian manner. The central block contained a full height saloon
on the south garden front and a stair hall on the north entrance front. In 1841 and
1862 Edward Blore enlarged the house with a mansard roof and cupola over the centre
block and added the near left-hand wing and service block enclosing a courtyard.
After a fire in 1934, which gutted the centre block, the house was externally
reinstated to its 1730 form but the internal plan was altered and the saloon was
Central range: 2 storeys. 2:5:2 bays. Symmetrical. Central octagonal cupola
reconstructed after fire with lunettes to each face and surmounted by large ball
finial. Balustraded parapets with urns at the corners of the wings. Modillion
cornice and moulded entablature. All windows have 12-paned sashes and moulded
architraves, those to ground floor with flat bracketted hoodmoulds. Shallow central
portico with entablature with modillion cornice and pediment supported on engaged
Ionic columns and pilasters. Half-glazed door with 2-panelled base and 6-paned
overlight. Between the 2 wings is a raised terrace with flight of 3 stone steps to
door flanked by dogs. Decorative rainwater heads in the angles.
Window openings to east and west sides of wings to central range are similarly
treated to the garden front. Central doorways with sunken channelled pilasters and
bracketted pediments. Rear corner turrets have Vitruvian scroll platbands, blind
parapets and stone panels with swag decoration above upper storey windows, semi-
circular headed ground floor windows with keystones.
The low flanking wings are each 3:3:3 bays, symmetrical, the central rusticated 3
bays breaking forward slightly with pediments and plat bands. Modillion cornice and
entablature. Ball finials at intervals along the low parapet. Roundel windows with
moulded architraves to the upper storey of each end 3 bays, the left-hand (west)
wing with recessed 6 paned sashes, the east wing with radiating glazing bars with
busts in front. 12-paned sashes to ground floor with moulded architraves and
keystones. Central pedimented bays have 6 over 12 paned sashes with heavy keystones
flanking tall round-arched doorway with Diocletian overlight and large door of two
5-panelled leaves to west wing, replaced with half-glazed panelled doors to east
wing. The corner pavilions have domed lead roofs surmounted by pineapple finials,
modillion cornice and plat-band. 8-paned sash above heavily vermiculated rusticated
surround to large round arched doorway with door of 2 panelled leaves.
To the rear of the west wing corner pavilion, the rear courtyard facade is of 9 bays
with 6-panes above 12-pane sashes, terminating in another domed pavilion at its
The north entrance front of the main range has portico rebuilt in 1960's and
Venetian window over pedimented doorway with 6 panelled door. Plaque to left with
inscription 'Re-Edificat Per Arthur Fortescue AR AD 1684". Archway with rusticated
quoins into rear service courtyard. Adjoining the archway on the right is the deer
slaughterhouse with all its fittings intact - an unusual survival.
Interior: all the principal rooms were reconstructed after the fire in C18 style.
The front room to the projecting right-hand wing and the guest bedroom contain
elaborately carved wood chimneypieces in the rococo style which escaped the fire.
Castle Hill has been occupied throughout its history by the Fortescue family. The
principal remodelling and additions of c.1730 were carried out by Hugh, 1st Lord
Fortescue and the landscaping of the gardens by him and his successor Matthew, 2nd
Lord Fortescue. This was done by Roger Morris under the guidance of Lords Herbert and
Source: Colvin Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1978 2nd Ed.
Listing NGR: SS6711028455
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 11 Devon,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing